Marvel Avengers Assemble First Review
CAUTION: Spoiler Alert!
If you haven’t heard of Marvel Avengers Assemble you must have just woken up from a sleep deeper than Captain America’s!
MTV Australia were lucky enough to catch a preview of the highly anticipated movie adaption of the renowned comic book series, set for release in UK cinemas on April 26.
In one word ... wow! Avengers Assemble is the best 3D movie released to date, the detail and special effects right up until the end credits are superb.
Director Joss Whedon (‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’, ‘Angel’, ‘Serenity’) makes the mismatched characters from different worlds work.
Packed full of action and humour, it is a standalone film anyone who enjoys great cinema can watch without having seen the rest of the Marvel films.
SPOILER ALERT!!! Here’s what to expect, including spoilers, so read on only if you dare!
An ominous otherworldly voice forecasts the demise of humans, cut to the S.H.I.E.L.D. team who are trying to harness the power of a Cosmic Cube called the Tesseract in a top secret NASA lab somewhere in the United States of America. But the Tesseract is a doorway to its cosmic beginnings and acts a portal.
Enter Loki (Tom Hiddleston), the angry adopted brother of Thor (Chris Hemsworth) who previously foiled his evil brother’s plans to overthrow the throne of Asgard, a peaceful realm in another universe. For the full back story be sure to watch Thor.
Loki has, along with some bad intentions, transported with him his trusty magical and powerful scepter which he uses to floor the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and brainwash Professor Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) and expert marksman Clint ‘Hawkeye’ Barton (Jeremy Renner) into becoming his minions. With the help of his new friends he leaves the lab in ruins and with the Tesseract, which holds the potential for unlimited sustainable energy.
Fury calls in a ‘level 7’ and begins to recruit in the big guns starting with Natasha ‘Black Widow’ Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson), who although dressed in a little black dress and torn stockings while tied to a chair being beaten and interrogated by Russians, he interrupts in the middle of working (ScarJo fans: this is the most undressed you’ll see her all film so don’t blink!).
Successfully persuaded she easily evades her captors and begins her mission to convince Dr Bruce ‘The Hulk’ Banner, an expert on gamma radiation, to abandon his low profile life in Kolkata to help locate the Tesseract.
After a digital round-table with faceless S.H.I.E.L.D. board members who disagree with the plan to leave the world’s fate to a handful of freaks, undeterred Fury continues to assemble the team.
He finds Steve ‘Captain America’ Rogers taking out frustrations caused by flashbacks to his past (for more detail, watch Captain America: The First Avenger) on multiple boxing bags. Seemingly lost and in need of direction Rogers agrees to come on board.
Tony ‘Iron Man’ Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) is finishing up work on his own sustainable energy resource with the help of his long time assistant and beau Pepper Potts (Gwynth Paltrow) at Stark Tower in New York City when Agent Coulson shows up.
Upset he didn’t make the initial cut for the original secret ‘Avengers Initiative’ which was scrapped, Stark can’t contain his egocentric interest and agrees to join forces with S.H.I.E.L.D.
The team assemble on what seems to be a navy aircraft carrier only to find it launches into the air powered by giant engines and an invisible shield.
SERIOUS SPOILER ALERT – this is your last warning people!!!
- Agent Coulson is a big fan of Captain America and him to sign his vintage collector cards.
- The Scepter is full of ancient knowledge and gives Loki a new purpose.
- The Tesseract is a source of knowledge and truth.
- Loki’s intent to rule and enjoyment of inflicting pain and fear is made obvious during the public scene he makes in Germany. Captain America and Iron Man stop him before Thor swoops in and abducts him.
- Thor offers Loki to come home to Asgard peacefully.
- Iron Man and Thor have a spectacular, albeit childish, fight scene that Captain America has to break up.
- The team escort Loki to the aircraft and secure him in a cage made to contain The Hulk while they study his Scepter.
- Stark suspects S.H.I.E.L.D. have more plans for the Tesseract other than using it as an energy source.
- Loki and his minions are using the Sceptor to locate the S.H.I.E.L.D.’s aircraft while brainwashing the team to fight with one another.
- Loki’s minions blow up a wing of the aircraft causing Banner to turn into The Hulk and attack Romanoff and destroy everything around him.
- Loki is released from his prison and Thor tries to stop him escaping only to become trapped.
- Agent Coulson tries to save Thor, but is killed by Loki.
- The Hulk and Thor are both thrown to earth from the aircraft.
- Iron Man and Captain America successfully repair the aircraft, but Loki escapes.
- Dark Widow fights Hawkeye and manages to give him “cognitive recalibration” aka a strong blow to the head, recruiting him to the good side and wiping her debt to him.
- Fury admits to building an arsenal with the Tesseract to aid the ‘Avengers Initiative’ which was going to bring a group of remarkable people together to fight the battles humans could not.
- Fury uses Agent Coulson’s bloodied collectors cards from his jacket pocket to push the team back together. Agent Hill later confronts him about the cards being in Coulson’s locker, not his jacket, and Fury admitted it was not going to work if the team “didn’t have something”.
- Professor Selvig sets up the Tesserect atop Stark Tower in New York City to become a portal for Loki’s army to travel through.
- The portal opens and an army of metal armoured aliens and giant flying monsters descend on present day New York City.
- The whole team finally comes together and begin fighting of Loki’s army.
- Lots of impressive fight scenes between ‘The Avengers’ and the alien army, including The Hulk versus Loki.
-Fury, who is still on the aircraft, has another digital meeting with the faceless S.H.I.E.L.D. board members who decide to nuke the entire island of Manhattan.
- Fury tells Iron Man there is a nuclear missile has been deployed, so he intercepts it and takes it through the portal blowing up the alien spaceships.
- Professor Selvig tells Romanoff to use Loki’s Sceptor to close the portal, Iron Man falls back to earth just before it closes.
- The Hulk yells to wake the unconscious Iron Man, and a defeated Loki wakes to ‘The Avengers’ team standing over him.
- Media coverage of the carnage pegs it as an “extraterrestrial” attack.
- Thor takes Loki back to Asgard.
- The team go their separate ways, Fury assures the S.H.I.E.L.D. board they come back if they’re needed.
- Stark and Potts begin rebuilding Stark Tower together, the giant “A” from the signage is the only letter left attached.
- Bonus scene during the end credits introduces Thanos.
Review by Elise Vout