Get To Know: Bonzai
We caught up with the Irish songstress to get to know a little bit more about her and her music...
Our next featured artist is Irish songstress Bonzai.
We caught up with her to find out a little but more about her and her music.
Check it out below:
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
I'm from Dublin, Ireland. Currently in Brixton living with my good friend Dell and her baby Royah. In the mornings we listen to music and dance. In the evenings we watch Take Me Out and eat Dell’s quality meals (she's the world’s best chef).
2. Describe your sound in three words…
Trancey, ravey, R&B.
3. Who inspired you to start a career in music?
It wasn't really a single person, my whole family are musical, I've loved singing for as long as I can remember and I've been writing songs since I was 9. The first song I ever wrote was called 'I Am Not A Someone', my stepdad, humouring me, took me to a studio to record it.
4. Who are your biggest musical influences?
Santigold, M.I.A , The Prodigy, FKA Twigs, Bjork and The Chemical Brothers.
5. Tell us about the writing and recording process for your new single/album…
It'll involve doing a good few sessions, coming up with lots of rough ideas and then probably spending a lot of time in my studio recording vocals and finalising top lines. I'll also just listen to music and go to as many gigs as I can, I think it's important to enjoy that too.
6. What can we expect from your live shows?
Lots of energy and a good time.
7. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
Playing Glastonbury was fun. Also touring with Flume was a great experience.
8. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
SOPHIE, we met him while in L.A and he had us round his house, I was so taken a back I could barely speak.
9. What’s on your iPod/playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
Maybe the chill stuff. I think if you listened to my music you wouldn't expect that side of me but I love my moody chill music like Lucy rose, Homeshake, Bonobo, etc.
10. When can we see you live?
The next gig is in Dublin for news years eve eve and I'm excited about that one.
Check out Bonzai’s ‘I Did’ video here: