Boom! Awards Announced
Young filmmakers are given gongs by MTV for their socially aware work…
MTV has given out Boom! Awards for young volunteer community filmmakers.
Over 1,000 youth clubs are involved in the project which gives 16-25 year olds training in media skills.
Of those 50 were at the Apple store in London this week where awards for the best films- which all focused on community and social issues- were given out.
The winners are all listed below. WATCH THE FILMS AND FIND OUT MORE HERE
• Best Original Idea: ELG Interface club from east London – ‘Respect’
• Best Camerawork: Eye Arts Club from Eye, Suffolk – ‘What younger people think of older people’
• Best Front-Of-Camera Performance: Leanne Butterfield from Sense TV club in Vauxhall, London – ‘Chain Reaction’
• Best Editing: The Crew Club from Brighton – ‘Soldier’s Eyes’
• Best Director: Rhys Williams from Bromley Film club in south-east London – Soldier’s Eyes’
• Best BOOM! Blogger: Laverne Major from Law, Leisure and Learning club in Birmingham
• Best Community Story: Film Junkies club from Bournemouth – ‘Life’s a beach’
• Outstanding Club Leader: Ammara Ali from ELG Interface club in east London – ‘Teenage pregnancy’
• Outstanding Volunteering: David Midcalf & Adam Sayer from Darlington YMCA – ‘Individuality’
• Best Film: Film Junkies club from Bournemouth – ‘The Daemon Drink’
BOOM! is a partnership project involving Clubs for Young People and club-based youth work organisations, youth volunteering charity ‘v’, MTV and youth engagement agency TomTom nation. All the youth clubs taking part are provided with Apple hardware and iLife which includes iMovie for film-editing as well as training support.