23 Unrealistic Expectations That Reality Stars Have Given Us About Summer
Summer is NEVER quite how the reality stars make it look. See all the times they've lied to us over at MTV.co.uk.
We don’t mean to alarm you but summer is just around the corner, and if you’re looking for some inspo of how to spend yours this year, then you only need look to favourite reality stars’ Instagram pages.
They basically spend most of their time going on swanky holidays, wearing crazy swimwear and generally living their best lives in beautiful hot countries.
But seeing as they’re supposed ‘reality’ stars, they don’t half give us some unrealistic expectations about the upcoming summer.
Not sure what we’re on about? Here’s 23 examples that prove the point.
1. Expectation: Looking like this while you chill by the pool.
Reality: Dripping melty Cornetto onto your chin, realising you haven't shaved in a while, thighs quadrupling in size when you sit down.
2. Expectation: Ditching all makeup in favour of a natural glow and cute freckles.
Reality: Ditching all makeup because you're too lazy to apply it, getting burnt to shit by accident, breaking out in spots thanks to suncream.
3. Expectation: Vicky Pattison levels of summer bod transformation.
Reality: Only just realised it's a week 'til your holiday, healthy eating for an hour before giving up, possibly now a little bit fatter than when you started.
4. Expectation: Sizzling on the beach in some seriously sexy swimwear.
Reality: Returning to the same bikini you've had for the past four years because anything else makes you feel like a haggis.
5. Expectation: Bragging on Instagram with pics like this while everyone else is still at work.
Reality: It's you who's at work because you were too skint to book a holiday in the first place.
6. Expectation: Taking seriously adorable pictures in the sun with bae because you're both so in love.
Reality: Having a huge row on the first night of your romantic holiday and not speaking to each other for the rest of the week.
7. Expectation: Arriving at your swanky hotel to find a group of lads staying there who look like this.
Reality: Your room is next door to the Inbetweeners.
8. Expectation: Having a personal photographer to get the perfect golden hour beach photoshoot for you.
Reality: Your mate takes one single photo of you and your six chins when you weren't even ready.
9. Expectation: Trying out a brand new, on trend, fashion blogger-esque style to mix up your look for the summer.
Reality: You feel and look like an absolute plank in anything other than jeans and a tshirt.
10. Expectation: Heading off to a beach where you can take photos like this one.
Reality: Rainy weekend in Brighton where you get pooed on by a seagull.
11. Expectation: Filling up your Instagram feed with the ultimate pool inflatable pics.
Reality: Realising they cost literally like £60 and deciding you'd rather spend it on takeaways tbh.
12. Expectation: A flawless tan that basically makes you look like you're formed from actual gold.
Reality: Sticking to fake tan, but not even having the motivation to fake tan anything other than your lower legs and forearms.
13. Expectation: Private beach for you and bae.
Reality: Sharing a beach with thousands of other tourists - mostly old men whose trunks don't fit and middle aged women who are insanely sunburnt
14. Expectation: Looking sleek af while you share an evening drink with bae.
Reality: Hair not reacting well to humidity, eyebrows disappear after being lightened in the sun, weird tan lines that can't be hidden.
15. Expectation: Ultimate squad goals.
Reality: Each individually dying from a hangover.
16. Expectation: Looking like a swimwear model in the shallow end.
Reality: Losing all chill and flailing in the water when someone challenges you to an inflatables assault course.
17. Expectation: Becoming an extra from Baywatch in your new red swimming costume.
Reality: Not going outside. What's the point?
18. Expectation: Renting out a top of the range jetski for an adrenaline rush in the sun.
Reality: Enquire about hiring a jetski, find out they're £30 for ten minutes, go and get a Solero instead.
19. Expectation: Lounging back on your private yacht with a half pint of refreshingly cool beer.
Reality: Drinking so many beers that you get the weird beer bloat, get a bit too pissed, fall asleep while everyone else enjoys themselves.
20. Expectation: Spending loads of time with your BFFs.
Reality: Not being able to find one single day across the entire summer that you're both free.
21. Expectation: Heading out every day on a sunshine-filled hike through the hills.
Reality: Try running for a day. Realise it's quite hard. Go back to your laptop.
22. Expectation: Spending your entire holiday in extremely sociable and fun scenarios such as pool parties.
Reality: The judgemental "Are you still watching"? question from Netflix.
23. Expectation: Generally just being summer couple goals in every way possible.
Reality: You are alone. It's hard to be summer couple goals when you're alone.
Words by Lucy Wood
Those pesky reality stars. Now, let's have a watch of exactly who's cheated on their other half with someone on the SAME show.