Get To Know: Day Wave
We spoke to the California-born artist about meeting New Order, playing every instrument on his new album and much more.
Want to hear about the best new artists before your mates? Of course you do.
Every week, MTV UK speaks with one of the most exciting rising stars in the world for our Get To Know series. What's their story? What inspires them? What kind of weird sh*t do they have on their iPod?
This week, we caught up with Jackson Phillips, also known by his stage name, Day Wave. We spoke to the California-born artist about meeting New Order, playing every instrument on his new album and much more.
Check it out below...
1. for those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
My name is Jackson Phillips, and I record music under the name Day Wave. I'm from the Bay Area, California but I currently live in Los Angeles.
2. describe your sound in three words…
Lush, Analog, Pop.
3. who inspired you to start a career in music?
My parents really helped me get into music, they always played records for me and it was their idea to buy me a drum set when I was 9.
4. who are your biggest musical influences?
I've been inspired by a lot of different artists and people. Some of my favorite bands as a kid were Pink Floyd, King Crimson, and Brian Eno. The recordings from these artists really pushed me to become a better musician. When I started Day Wave I was really inspired by Brian Wilson.
5. tell us about the writing and recording process for your new single/album…
Half of the songs were written a couple years ago, around the time of my first two EPs, and half were written about a year ago when I recorded the album. I played every instrument and sang every note on the album. I initially recorded in Long Beach but finished the album in Laurel Canyon with the help of Mark Ranken.
6. what can we expect from your live shows?
At the live shows, you can expect to hear the entire new album, as well as select singles from my previous EPs.
7. what has been your biggest career highlight so far?
One of the biggest highlights for Day Wave was playing the main stage at Lallapalooza last year. I'm really excited to play more festivals in the U.K. And Europe.
8. have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
I met the members of New Order recently (except Peter Hook), and was pretty star struck. But I kept it together.
9. what’s on your ipod/playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
Ravel String Quartet in F major.
10. when can we see you live?
Keep your eyes peeled for tour news!
Listen to your favourite tracks no matter where you are with the MTV TRAX music app. No ads, no limits, no monkey business. Download it now for FREE at mtvtrax.com.