11 Thoughts You Have In Your First Ever PT Session
So. Many. Emotions.
We’ve all looked over with envy at the gym aficionados working out with a dedicated personal trainer attending to their every need and making sure that they’re making the most of their workout and thought “that could totally be me, I could definitely be that strong if I had a trainer too”, right?
Well, what happens when you finally take the plunge and fork out for some PT sessions of your own? Here’s what every PT newbie will experience when having their first session.
Before you get started, brush up on these basic exercise fails!
1. Booking that first session
You’ve done the maths and worked out exactly how many takeout coffees you’re going to give up to afford a weekly PT session plus you’ve chosen the perfect trainer – this is SO FREAKING EXCITING. You’re literally counting down until the big day.
2. The nerves start kicking in
You’re starting to worry about what you’ve let yourself in for – are you really ready for an extremely fit human to test your stamina? Is it too late to cancel and get your money back?
3. Getting in there and thinking “This isn’t so bad. This is FINE!”
You have no idea why you were even worried, you’re BOSSING everything they’re asking you to do with ease. Piece. Of. Cake. You’re going to be a fitness machine before you know it.
4. Oh god that was just the warm up, I’m pretty sure this guy is trying to kill me.
Bulgarian split squats with a barbell on your shoulders AND your back leg elevated?! Pretty sure this is what the beginning of a heart attack feels like.
5. Where’s the nearest bin you can throw up into?
Seriously, there’s nothing like trying to impress someone who DOES FITNESS FOR A LIVING than to make your breakfast reappear. You decide to actually pay attention to your limits from here on out rather than trying to overdo it to prove you can.
6. You sneak a look at the clock… and realise you still have over half of the session left to go…
Why does time never go this slowly when you have to get up for work? Pretty sure that clock’s broken… there can’t be 35 MORE MINUTES of this torture left, surely?!
7. You’ve used equipment you’ve never tried before and some in ways you’d never expected
Who knew that’s what the reverse leg curl machine was for? You’ve been bound up in resistance bands like something from Fifty Shades Of Grey and you can use weight plates WITHOUT the bar. Mind = blown.
8. It’s over… it’s finally over
You’ve sweated more than ever before and broken your pain barrier several times. There were times you thought this moment would never come, but boy it feels GOOOOOOD!
9. You walk out feeling amazing, preparing all the #fitnessmodel hashtags you’ll be using in a couple of weeks’ time.
You can feel those epic guns are only a few sessions away, it was hella tough but it was worth it. Your whole gym game has changed and you can’t remember what life was like before you had your very own trainer.
10. You wake up the next morning unable to move - WHY is leg day a thing?
Getting out of bed is harder than you thought, you’re avoiding going to the loo because you’re not sure you’ll be able to pull your jeans back up and let’s not even TALK about stairs. You’re not sure if going up or down them is worse, but you’re already missing the days when walking wasn’t excruciatingly painful.
11. But the endorphins are addictive so you book right in again. YOLO.
The pain is totally worth the workout buzz – and you just know it will be worthwhile in the end when you see those muscles creeping through.
Words by Kim Novak