Get To Know: Alice Merton
This week we're catching five with the 'No Roots' hitmaker in our introducing interview...
Alice Merton is from everywhere. A cross-continental upbringing with multiple homes and cultures resulted in her penning the inescapable earworm, and European Top 10 hit 'No Roots'.
It's already been two years since the singer-songwriter dropped her infectious debut single and now she's gearing up to release her debut album Mint on January 18th. Let's get to know her in this week's introducing interview...
1) For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
"Every time someone asks me where I’m from I’m not sure how to answer that question…so I say I have no roots. When you’ve moved 13 times you lose track of where you’re from. I make music…and it helps me figure out life."
2) Describe your sound in three words…
"Organic Drum and Bass."
3) Who inspired you to start a career in music?
4) Who are your biggest musical influences?
"The Killers, Queen, Regina Spektor, The Alan Parsons Project."
5) Tell us about the writing and recording process for your new single/album…
"We spent about three years working on this album. Every song is true and has its unique story behind it. I love making sad songs sound happy, so that’s what you can expect from this album."
6) What can we expect from your live shows?
"A night you won’t forget for at least a week :)"
7) What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
"Playing in front of a million people on New Years Eve in Berlin and The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. And meeting the The Killers."
8) Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
"Yes, Brandon Flowers."
9) What’s on your iPod/playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
"All the Alan Parsons Project albums."
10) When can we see you live?
"At my headline tour in March 2019."