Get To Know: FLO
In the MTV PUSH spotlight this week is your new fav girlband, FLO!
Let us introduce you to FLO, the 3-piece band from London are bringing the sounds of their 00’s R&B heroes into 2022 with a fresh look and sound.
Renee, Stella and Jorja have been working together for over 2 years now, amassing a following of over 159k fans on TikTok who enjoy their covers of hits such as Jazmine Sullivan, Wizkid and Lauryn Hill. The girls’ bond is undeniable from their videos and they showcase that by putting female empowerment at the forefront in their music.
They have been hard at work creating their debut EP which is due this summer, taking inspiration from the R&B greats for the 90’s and 00’s - Flo are here to be your next girl band faves!
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
We’re a girl group from in and around London. We mainly create and sing R&B music but are always looking for ways to expand and explore!
2. Who/what inspired you to start a career in music?
We have grown up around music and have all loved it our whole lives. Our mums definitely inspired our music taste so that laid the foundation for our career ahead. It felt right for us to pursue music as we’re creatives and loved everything around the arts.
3. Who are your biggest musical influences?
We love 90’s artists and loveee listening to the throwbacks! Our influences consist of Jazmine Sullivan, Faith Evans, Brandy…to name a few.
4. Tell us about the writing and recording process of your new release…
It was a really easy process with MNEK and Savannah because they helped us form our conversations into a great song. It felt natural and almost like a therapy session! We actually wrote it about 2 years ago and still work with them now - so it feels like a lovely full circle to have the song do so well.
5. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
Being recognised by some of our favourite artists like JoJo and SZA has been so surreal. The reception to 'Cardboard Box' has been a highlight we know will remember forever.
6. Who would you be your dream collaboration and why?
We have so many artists who would love to collaborate with! But right now we would love to have a song with Doja Cat, we’re obsessed!
7. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
JoJo!! we met her backstage at her London show only to meet Sinead Harnett straight after…omg!
8. If you could only listen to one song on repeat for the rest of time what would it be and why?
Cardboard Box by FLO… that should be everyone’s answer ;)
9. What’s on your playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
A combination of old school jams and new tunes we’re loving atm! Feel free to have a listen to our FLO faves on Spotify :)
10. What can we expect from your live shows?
A vibe! We want it to be as immersive and interactive as possible as we want to bring everyone on this journey with us.
11. When can we see you live this year
This summer! Hmm maybe a few gigs here and there.. just putting in groundwork. The real fun will begin in autumn!
FLO's debut track 'Cardboard Box' is out now!