Get to Know: Moss Kena
We caught up with the exciting new act to find out a little bit more about him and his music...
This week's featured artist is an incredible singer-songwriter from the UK.
Moss Kena's career has gotten off to an amazing start. Not only has he worked with incredible artists and producers including Leikeli47 and T-Minus but he's also been praised by Kendrick Lamar and released a critically acclaimed EP: Found You In 06.
We were lucky enough to catch up with the rising star this week.
Check it out below...
1) For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
So I'm twenty years young from London and I’m spending all my time making music that I love.
2) Describe your sound in three words…
Soulful, new and honest.
3) Who inspired you to start a career in music?
When I was about 5 years old, I had an obsession with Elvis Presley. His music was on constant repeat in my bedroom. I thought he was the coolest person on the planet and at that time I wanted to be just like him.
4) Who are your biggest musical influences?
I grew up listening to a lot of soul music artists such as Michael Jackson, Donnie Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Etta James etc. but I would have to say my main musical influence was Amy Winehouse after I came across her Back to Black album. She became my new obsession.
5) Tell us about the writing and recording process for your new music…
I don’t have a set process for writing a song because ideas both lyrical and melodic can come to me at any time. I like to think that when I’m writing something new it's a free-flowing stream of consciousness that I then piece together to create a moment that people resonate with.
6) What can we expect from your live shows?
I want people to come away from my shows knowing they have seen and felt something that is real, honest and relatable.
7) What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
Meeting Kendrick Lamar after he heard my rework of his ‘These Walls’ record. Getting his validation and encouragement to just be myself was so inspiring.
8) Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
Famous people are just like you and I but with extraordinary opportunities. Once I came to this conclusion I was able to introduce myself with ease.
9) What’s on your playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
I would have to say Coldplay. The songwriting on their first album Parachutes really connected with me. I appreciated it's classic and timeless feel.
10) When can we see you live?
I’m planning shows for later this year so keep ya eyes peeled.
Watch Moss Kena's magnificent 'You Don't Know' video below.