Get To Know: Tommy Genesis
Her sound is Bubble Gum Horror. We think you're going to love it.
Canadian-born rapper Tommy Genesis is here to take rap to a whole new level.
Her music is experimentally and sexually liberating, and she’s the girl power artist you didn’t know your life was missing. Not only a rapper, Tommy is also a visual storyteller in her music videos, creating conceptual themes that you won’t be able breakdown easily (this girl is seriously good at her metaphors, guys).
Not only is she rising to fame with her two hundred thousand Instagram followers, but Tommy has opened for acts such as Dua Lipa, and even had Charli XCX remix her track ‘100 Bad’ for her self-titled debut album ‘Tommy Genesis’.
Citing her inspirations of Tracy Emin, Richard Prince, Nobuyoshi Araki, Tommy’s style is heavily influenced by artists she looks up to, and it’s more present in her debut album than ever. She’s got something that you haven’t seen or heard of before, and it’s infectious.
We sat down to get to know all about her and now you can too...
1) For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
I’m Tommy Genesis. I’m from the underworld. I’m a fire sign but my moon is water.
2) Describe your sound in three words…
Bubble Gum Horror.
3) Who inspired you to start a career in music?
It was always in me. It just crawled out on its own.
4) Who are your biggest musical influences?
Jungle sounds, when I’m bored and I hear music in my head, the Lion King, Rihanna.
5) Tell us about the writing and recording process for your new single/album…
I didn’t have any rules, I just got in the studio and started from 0 every day. Remade songs until they felt like the best versions of themselves. Sometimes I sent the songs through therapy, sometimes they sent me through therapy.
6) What can we expect from your live shows?
If you want a hug come and give me one. If you want to hold my hand come and hold it. If you want to scream; scream! If you want to stand still and stare, be yourself. I try to be myself. My shows are raw and uninhibited. They can be punk but they can be intimate and soft too.
7) What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
Meeting my fans.
8) Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
9) What’s on your iPod/playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
Lil Bird’s Bird Watching and Mozart.
10) When can we see you live?
On the God is Wild Tour!
Catch her on tour:
FEB 22 - La Bellevilloise, Paris, France
FEB 23 - Melkweg, Amsterdam, Netherlands
FEB 24 - Le Botanique, Saint-josse-ten-noode, Belgium
FEB 26 - Turmzimmer, Hamburg, Germany
FEB 27 - Berghain | Panorama Bar | Säule, Berlin, Germany