Get To Know: GIRLI
She's a singer-songwriter from North London with a whole lot of attitude...
Our next featured artist is North London rapper/singer GIRLI.
At only 18 years old she's already making a name for herself on the music scene with her riotous style.
We interviewed GIRLI to find out a little bit more about her, check it out below.
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
I'm GIRLI and I'm from North London. I make music that you might not like.
2. Describe your sound in three words…
Tongue in cheek.
3. Who inspired you to start a career in music?
Loads of badass musicians, particularly women. Specifically, I remember going to a Tegan and Sara concert and it made me wanna be on stage doing what they did. My parents are actors too so that also made me want to be on stage like them ever since I was a child.
4. Who are your biggest musical influences?
The Streets, MIA, Arctic Monkeys, The Slits, etc. The list is so long because every time I write a song I write it influenced by someone different.
5. Tell us about the writing and recording process for your new single/album…
I write lyrics all the time on my phone and when I have an idea I mess around with it on my laptop at home or go into the studio with a producer (I have a few I love working with). We start the production, then I write melodies over it and it comes together as a song. I love sampling soundbites from YouTube and memes and video games.
6. What can we expect from your live shows?
Flying tampons, piñatas of past f**k-boys, load of sweat.
7. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
I interviewed Mel C (Sporty Spice) the other day that was pretty special. Every time I have a gig that's rowdy enough to crowd surf I thank my lucky stars.
8. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
Every time I see FKA Twigs at parties or shows I freeze a little bit. What a goddess.
9. What’s on your iPod/playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
I listen to a lot of chill stuff like Blood Orange, SG Lewis. I also love funk and soul from the 70’s a lot. I listen to everything, I'm inspired by it all in different ways.
10. When can we see you live?
I'm playing in London on November 24th at the Camden Assembly (the revamped Barfly, RIP Barfly).