Kasabian Defend 'Bold' Metallica Glastonbury Booking
But Serge and Tom believe Prince was the festival’s first choice to headline on Saturday night...
Last week the thrash metal legends were finally confirmed to be headlining this year’s Glasto alongside Kasabian and Arcade Fire, but it is seen as a controversial booking because of the band’s heavy sound.
Although Kasabian’s main men – guitarist Serge Pizzorno and singer Tom Meighan – feel Prince was the festival’s first choice to headline.
In an exclusive interview with MTV News UK, Serge said: “Obviously Prince was the move and I think everyone was prepared for Prince.”
“I think they ran out of time for Prince,” added frontman Tom, who was born the year Metallica formed in 1981. “It’s quite a bold move Metallica – it’s a monster. Metallica’s huge.”
Tom’s best mate Serge also defended the much-debated booking, predicting “something quite amazing” from Metallica on Saturday night.
“At this point if Prince can’t do it, then there’s no bigger rock zone in the world. The thing is no-one’s really sure and usually that means something quite amazing will happen. Everyone was panicked about Jay Z and Beyoncé, but look what happened.”
Praising Metallica, Serge continued: “These boys, they’re clever man. They’ve been doing it a long time and there’s a reason why they are who they are. I’m sure they’ll pull something out the bag.”
Having topped the bill at many of Britain’s biggest festivals including V, Reading & Leeds and T in the Park in recent years, last summer’s Hard Rock Calling headliners believe their prestigious Glastonbury slot is well overdue.
“It’s such an honour and we’re really humbled to be headlining Glastonbury, but we’ve waited a long bloody time,” said Tom.
“We’ll just do what we always do – turn up and crank the volume up.
“I think it’ll be a wonderful, captivating moment for everyone and it’ll be one of those moments where you’ve got to be there.”
Kasabian release their fifth studio album 48:13 on June 9.
By Ben Lowe