Iron Man 3 Is Biggest-Earning Movie Of 2013
Superhero threequel rakes in an amazing $1.2bn in box office takings...
Iron Man 3was the highest-earning movie globally this year, it has been revealed.
The superhero threequel took a whopping $1,215,439,994 worldwide - comfortably ahead of Despicable Me 2 on $918,573,535.
Fast & Furious 6 proved that the street racing movie franchise is still roaring ahead by clocking in third with $788,679,850 in takings.
And if the Avengers movie is counted, Iron Man's combined cinematic adventures now make him the highest-earning superhero in celluloid history.
The three Iron Man movies and the Avengers ensemble film took a combined total of $3.8bn at the box office.
The combined total for all the Batman films is a shade lower at $3.7bn - while all four Spider-Man films have earned $3.2bn.
Superman's movies are comparatively low on $1.5bn - but that is not helped by the fact that most of them were released when ticket prices were much lower.
The top 20 highest-grossing movies of 2013, compiled by Box Office Mojo...
1. Iron Man 3 - $1,215,439,994
2. Despicable Me 2 - $918,573,535
3. Fast & Furious 6 - $788,679,850
4. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - $771,484,011
5. Monsters University - $743,559,607
6. Man of Steel - $662,845,518
7. Gravity - $652,394,288
8. Thor: The Dark World - $627,858,622
9. The Croods - $587,204,668
10. World War Z - $540,007,876
11. Oz the Great and Powerful - $493,311,825
12. Star Trek Into Darkness - $467,365,246
13. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - $426,244,000
14. The Wolverine - $414,828,246
15. Pacific Rim - $407,602,906
16. GI Joe: Retaliation - $375,740,705
17. Frozen - $363,012,773
18. Now You See Me - $351,723,989
19. The Hangover Part III - $351,000,072
20. The Great Gatsby - $348,840,419