TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR “THE DUFF” COMPETITION – APRIL 2015
1. This competition will be governed by these terms and conditions (the “Terms”) and entrants agree that they have read and understood these Terms and will be bound by them.
2. Entrants may enter the competition by answering one (1) multiple choice question online at URL www.mtv.co.uk/theduff. Costs to enter the competition via the Internet may vary so please check with your service provider for current charges. Entrants should seek the permission of the person paying the bill before entering.
3. The closing date for entries is 17:00 BST on 14 April 2015.
4. This competition is open to residents of the UK only aged sixteen (16) and over, excluding employees and immediate relatives of employees of Viacom Brand Solutions Limited (the “Promoter”) and/or of MTV Networks Europe and/or of Entertainment One UK Holdings Limited and/or of Sky Media or their respective parents, subsidiaries or affiliated companies or any other person professionally connected with this competition.
5. Entrants may enter as many times as they like.
6. All entries must include name, age, address, (including postcode), email address, telephone number of entrant and answer to the question.
7. One (1) winner will be selected. This will be the first entry randomly drawn from all correct and eligible entries received.
8. The winner will be selected within one (1) week of the competition closing.
9. The winner shall be entitled to choose one (1) of the following four (4) prize options:
(i) Option One
The winner shall receive for himself/herself and two (2) guests the following:
• A makeover by MAC make-up artists at an MAC store*;
• An hour-long manicure at a Nails Inc. store*;
• A Toni & Guy* hair styling session (excluding any application of highlights, lowlights, colours, extensions, treatments, perms, professional straightening or weaves);
• An appointment with a personal style advisor at a Topshop store* (including style advice, access to private fitting rooms and private shopping);
• Topshop vouchers worth £250 Sterling each (i.e. a total of £750);
• Return private transfer from the winner’s home to the winner’s nearest city centre (if the nearest city centre is within a 25 mile radius of the winner’s home).**
*The MAC makeover session, Nails Inc. session, Topshop appointment with a personal style advisor and Toni & Guy appointment must all be booked in advance by the winner. The winner and his/her guests acknowledge and accept that the MAC makeover session, the Nails Inc. manicure, the Toni & Guy hair styling session and the Topshop session with a personal style advisor must all take place in the branches of these businesses that are located in towns or city centres nearest to the winner’s permanent residence in the UK.
**If the winner’s nearest city centre is more than 25 miles away from his/her permanent residence, the winner and his/her guests will be reimbursed for making their own way to the winner’s nearest mainline railway station and then for taking a train journey to the winner’s nearest city centre. Upon completion of the train journey the winner and his/her guests will be entitled to a private transfer from the mainline railway station to the winner’s nearest city centre.
The Option One Prize must be claimed and booked by the winner within twelve (12) months from the date of initial correspondence with the prize fulfilment company.
(ii) Option Two
The winner shall receive for himself/herself and two (2) guests:
• Entry to Alton Towers theme park in Staffordshire, England, for two (2) days;
• Return off-peak train travel and transfer to Alton Towers;
• An overnight stay at the Alton Towers Hotel (a four star hotel), on the basis of the winner and his/her two (2) guests sharing a ‘Sleepover Room’ and including breakfast in the hotel restaurant;
• Lunch on one (1) of the two (2) days at Alton Towers only;
• ‘Fast Track’ and ‘Jump The Queue’ entry to ‘The Big Six’ rides (namely ‘The Smiler’, ‘Air’, ‘Nemesis’, ‘Oblivion’, ‘Rita’ and ‘THI3TEEN’) to be used on one (1) of the two (2) days at Alton Towers only.
The Option Two Prize must be claimed and booked by the winner within twelve (12) months from the date of initial correspondence with the prize fulfilment company. Please note that Alton Towers is only open between March and October in any calendar year.
The winner acknowledges that they will be responsible for all room service costs and any additional charges or expenses incurred by them or their guests during their stay at the Alton Towers Hotel, as well as any damage to any hotel property.
The winner and his/her guests acknowledge and accept that height, age and health restrictions apply to certain rides at Alton Towers.
For the avoidance of doubt, the Option Two prize allows for entry to Alton Towers for two (2) days but the free lunch and ‘Fast Track’ and ‘Jump The Queue’ entry to ‘The Big Six’ rides only apply to one (1) of the two days.
(iii) Option Three
The winner shall receive for himself/herself and two (2) guests:
• A pamper party to take place in the winner’s home on an afternoon or evening selected by the winner which will include one (1) treatment (for example, a full body massage) or a number of short treatments from a selected menu of options, in all cases with one (1) or two (2) therapists on site at the winner’s home and with a maximum duration of sixty (60) minutes for each participant (the “Pamper Party”);
• A three course dinner from a set menu at a local restaurant of the winner’s choice, to include a half bottle of house wine and a half bottle of mineral water for each person;
• Love2Shop vouchers with a value of £200 Sterling each (i.e. a total of £600 for the winner and guests);
• Return private transfer from the winner’s home to the winner’s nearest city centre;
• Supermarket vouchers with a value of £75 Sterling for the winner only to be redeemed at the winner’s choice of Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury’s or Waitrose.
The winner and his/her guests acknowledge and accept that all treatments at the Pamper Party are subject to availability at the time of booking, and the booking must be made by the winner at least six (6) weeks in advance of the intended date of the Pamper Party. Some treatments may not be suitable for people with certain medical conditions and will be substituted for a safe alternative should this be the case.
The winner and his/her guests acknowledge and accept that the free dinner must take place at a restaurant located in the town or city centre nearest to the winner’s permanent residence in the UK. The winner may not select any restaurant awarded with one or more Michelin stars or any pop-up restaurant. Tasting menus are also excluded.
The Option Three Prize must be claimed and booked by the winner within twelve (12) months from the date of initial correspondence with the prize fulfilment company.
(iv) Option Four
The winner shall receive for himself/herself and two (2) guests:
• A series of personal training sessions consisting of one (1) training session (for the winner and guests together) per week for a total of thirteen (13) weeks, each with a duration of one (1) hour and with a qualified, reliable and reputable personal trainer who is based in close proximity to the winner’s permanent residence in the UK;
• A set of gym kit including one (1) gym top, one (1) pair of gym bottoms and one (1) pair of Nike Downshifter trainers;
• One (1) Apple iPod Shuffle with a memory of 2 gigabytes
The winner and his/her guests acknowledge and accept that the personal training sessions will be held as a group session for the winner and their guests. The sessions must be booked by the winner and take place within a year of the prize fulfilment company making contact with the winner. The gym kit, trainers and Apple iPod Shuffle will be sent to the winner and his/her guests within 28 days of the prize fulfilment company receiving the details of the winner’s delivery address.
Terms applicable to all prize options:
If a winner is under 18 years of age, at least one (1) guest must be a parent or guardian of the winner aged over 18. If a winner is aged 18 or over, both of his/her guests must be at least 16 years of age.
In the event that the winner or any of their guests is under 18 years of age and still attending school, and any of the prize options fall within a winner’s (or guest’s) school term, prior consent of the relevant headteacher must be obtained for any absence required.
Where train travel or private transfers are included in a prize option, such travel or transfers are subject to availability and cannot be taken on public holidays in the UK (including without limitation Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, or any other Bank Holidays), nor can they be taken on Valentine’s Day or during any school holidays in the UK.
All prizes are valued at between £1535 and £1615 Sterling (excluding VAT).
10. For the avoidance of doubt, the prize will not consist of anything other than expressly set out in Term 9 above and no additional costs are included.
11. The winner may be required to provide a written acknowledgement of acceptance of all the Terms of the competition (along with a parent’s or legal guardian’s signature if they are under eighteen (18) years of age) prior to receiving their prize.
12. The winner is responsible for all applicable taxes and expenses not specified in the prize description.
13. The winner will be notified by telephone or email within seven (7) days of being selected as a winner.
14. In the event that the Promoter cannot for any reason contact the prize winner within one (1) month of first attempting to do so, the Promoter reserves the right to select another winner on the same basis as used to select the original winner.
15. The Promoter reserves the right to select an alternative winner in the event that the Promoter has reasonable grounds for believing that any selected winner has contravened any of these Terms.
16. The Promoter reserves the right to terminate the competition and withhold the prize in the event that, in the Promoter's reasonable opinion, there are insufficient entries or the entries received are of insufficient quality for the Promoter to be able to select a winner. The Promoter’s decision is final with respect to any aspect of the competition, including the determination of any winner of a prize. No correspondence will be entered into.
17. Entrants acknowledge that they may be required to be used in publicity without further consent or payment if they are selected as a winner.
18. The Promoter can accept no responsibility for entries lost, delayed, misdirected, damaged or undelivered. Incomplete, inaudible and/or illegible entries will be disqualified. The Promoter shall not be responsible for technical errors in telecommunications networks, internet access or otherwise preventing entry to any competition.
19. Prizes are as stated and are non-transferable. No cash alternatives will be offered. If due to circumstances beyond the Promoter’s control the Promoter is unable to provide a stated prize or any part of it, the Promoter reserves the right to award a substitute prize of equal or greater value. Prizes are subject to any additional terms and conditions of the manufacturer, supplier or venue (as relevant).
20. No purchase necessary.
21. The Promoter shall not be liable for any delay in performing or partial or total failure to perform any of its obligations to a winner and/or parents/legal guardians under these Terms if such delay or failure is caused by circumstances beyond its reasonable control including without limitation delays, changes, disruptions, cancellations, diversions or substitutions howsoever caused including without limitation as a result of war, terrorist action or threatened terrorist action, strikes, hostilities, civil commotions, accidents, fire, flood or natural catastrophes or arising without limitation out of or in connection with (i) the activities of third party event organisers; (ii) any form of transportation (including but not limited to flights, trains, coaches, buses, ferries, taxis or cars); and/or (iii) by third parties providing accommodation included in the prize. For the avoidance of doubt, the affected winner and/or parents/legal guardians shall be solely liable for any additional costs incurred as a result.
22. Nothing in these Terms shall limit the Promoter’s liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence of the Promoter and/or deceit or fraud by Promoter.
23. Each provision excluding or limiting liability is to be construed separately and will apply and survive even if for any reason any of the other provisions are held to be inapplicable or unenforceable in any circumstances. Each of the provisions excluding or limiting liability will remain in force notwithstanding any termination of these Terms.
24. The name of any winner can be obtained by sending a stamped, self-addressed envelope to Viacom Brand Solutions, 17 – 29 Hawley Crescent, London, NW1 8TT (specifying the name of the competition), for one (1) month after the competition closes.
25. Unless entrants opt in to receive further marketing at the time of entry, any personal information, including without limitation, the entrant's name, age, address (including postcode), telephone number and/or email address will be used solely in connection with this competition and as set out in these Terms and will not be disclosed to any third party, except for the purpose of fulfilling a prize where applicable. Any personal information held by the Promoter in respect of any competition will be held on record for a short period for the purpose of ensuring fulfilment of the competition and then destroyed.
26. Only entries from individuals will be accepted. Any entries that the Promoter believes have (a) been made via participation in a syndicate or (b) via any means or form of machine-assisted intervention enabling computer (or software or program) generated multiple entries will be disqualified.
27. These Terms may be amended or varied at any time by the Promoter on notice. No waiver of any rights by the Promoter or any entrant will be taken as a waiver of any other rights it may have. For example, if the Promoter waives its right to complain about a particular breach of these Terms by an entrant, it does not prevent the Promoter from complaining about other breaches.
28. These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.
29. Any queries regarding the competition should specify the name of the competition and be addressed to:
Viacom Brand Solutions Limited, 17 – 29 Hawley Crescent, London, NW1 8TT.
I understand and agree to the above.
ACCEPTED AND AGREED BY:
Entrant’s signature: ……………………………………
Print Entrant’s Name:…………………………………..
Entrant’s Address ………………………………………
I understand that Viacom Brand Solutions Limited wishes to enter into these Duff Competition Terms with the Entrant named above. I hereby confirm that:
1. I am the parent or legal guardian of, and have parental responsibility for, the Entrant, who lives with me at the above address;
2. I have read these Duff Competition Terms and have discussed them with the Entrant who understands what is required of them. I hereby consent to the Entrant entering this competition and receiving any stated prize should they be selected as a winner or a runner up (if applicable).