Get To Know: Leo Kalyan
Check out this week's featured artist...
Our next featured artist is London based musician Leo Kalyan.
We caught up with him to find out a little but more about him and him music.
Check it out below:
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
My name is Leo Kalyan. I’m a singer, songwriter, producer and visual artist from London.
2. Describe your sound in three words…
Oceanic, wavey, ambient.
3. Who inspired you to start a career in music?
Probably M.I.A. It was the first time I saw another brown person from the UK doing music. There are so few of us around. I think the way that she brought together eastern and western sounds was/is totally futuristic. She’s a visionary and I found that hugely inspiring. So much pop, r&b and hip hop takes influence from Indian sounds, it’d be cool to see more south-Asian artists given the chance to break through.
4. Who are your biggest musical influences?
Sade, A.R Rahman, Massive Attack, Aaliyah. I’m very inspired by 90s trip hop, r&b and film soundtracks. John Barry especially.
5. Tell us about the writing and recording process for your new single/album…
My songwriting process usually begins with chords. They help guide me in deciding what each song is about, lyrically and emotionally. After that it’s just about telling a story as honestly as possible - that’s always the scariest part: to be truly honest about how something, or someone, made you feel.
My recording process is very simple. I have a small studio set up at my home in east London, and I produce and record everything here. I find big, fancy studios intimidating and in 2016, you don’t need them to get a good sound. It’s more about having a good idea and knowing your equipment.
6. What can we expect from your live shows?
My aim is always to create an atmosphere. My sound is quite dreamlike, and I use lights, colour and smoke to convey that. Certain colours have a very real emotional effect on me, so I’m just trying to inhabit them as much as I can.
7. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
Probably the first time I heard myself played on the radio. It was a very surreal moment.
8. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
Once I met Katy Perry and was pretty starstruck! I’ve never met anyone with bigger blue eyes. She’s also really lovely and more down-to-earth than you’d expect from someone so well-known.
9. What’s on your iPod/playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
Whigfield’s ‘Saturday Night’. Tune.
10. When can we see you live?
I’ll be announcing new show dates early in the new year, so keep an eye on my Twitter and Facebook!
Check out his EP on Soundcloud: