How Your Favourite Scented Candles Could Be Harming Your Health
In a pretty terrible turn of events, a new study is claiming that burning scented candles in your home could pose a very serious health risk.
While most of us love nothing more than relaxing with the cosy scent of a candle wafting about, scientists from the University of York are now warning that there's more of a health risk involved in this than you may ever have realised.
In the new report, scientist Alastair Lewis and his team found that chemicals released when you burn candles can mix with those already in the air of your house to create formaldehyde, a chemical that it's extremely dangerous to inhale in the long term.
If you didn't already know, formaldehyde is actually a chemical that's used to preserve the human body for scientific purposes (ew) and is a carcinogenic, which means it causes cancer. Exposure can also cause nose and throat issues, nausea and headaches.
While your candles aren't hazardous on their own, it's when they mix with the type of chemicals often found in the air of many homes due to the use of things like air fresheners and cleaning products that can cause the creation of this formaldehyde.
Luckily the lab studies seem to suggest that there are things you can do to combat this if you don't want to ditch your candles for good. This first thing to do is reduce the level of chemical cleaning products you use or at least choose fragrance-free products, as these contain less of the chemicals most likely to cause this reaction.
Then you can do things to increase ventilation of your home. Open your windows and doors to let fumes escape naturally before burning your candles.
Investing in some house plants could also be a way to go as these produce lots of lovely carbon dioxide and according to The Guardian, have been known to help reverse affects of formaldehyde production.
- By Linds Foley.
Pics From 2015 That Will Restore Your Faith In Humanity