Get To Know: LP
This week's featured artist is LA based singer/songwriter LP...
This week’s featured artist is LA based singer/songwriter LP.
We caught up with her ahead of the release of her highly anticipated full length studio album, Lost On You, which will be released on the 5th May.
Check out our interview below:
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
I’m a singer and songwriter originally from New York and now I live in Los Angeles. I started out as an artist and then became a songwriter, which in turn brought me back to being an artist. I feel like it’s made me well-rounded and now I’m a better writer, performer and artist because of it. Being a songwriter is the thing that helped me to understand that the song is the most important thing, whether I’m singing it or someone else is singing it. That’s what’s key and it’s my main concern in both areas.
2. Describe your sound in three words…
Anthemic, Big, Indie.
3. Who inspired you to start a career in music?
I would say Roy Orbison because he proved that it was about the music. He wasn’t an overt sex symbol, he just got up there and poured his heart out.
4. Who are your biggest musical influences?
The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Joni Mitchell, Jeff Buckley.
5. Tell us about the writing and recording process for your new single/album…
My writing process is done as always where it’s not a formal studio set up every time. Sometimes I go into a formal studio, but sometimes it’s someone’s living room. It’s about trying to challenge inspiration and not think too hard in the initial stages of creation. After that point, if you feel like you have something, it becomes more of a craft.
6. What can we expect from your live shows?
You can expect connection, vocal dexterity and power, and a lot of love!
7. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
To be honest, all my shows, the enthusiasm of the fans has just been, well, it feels like Christmas every day! The biggest gift I could ever get and I’m very thankful.
8. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
Robert Plant. My ex-girlfriend was a friend with his son and I met him a couple times. He is a regal son of a gun!
9. What’s on your iPod/playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
Christine and the Queens and Jazmine Sullivan. People don’t respect R&B enough, in my opinion!
10. When can we see you live?
KOKO Headline show on Monday 24th April.
For more information about LP, head here: http://iamlp.com.
Listen to your favourite tracks no matter where you are with the MTV TRAX music app. No ads, no limits, no monkey business. Download it now for FREE at mtvtrax.com.