10 Things Maria Sharapova Would Have Preferred To Hear On Losing At Wimbledon
The tennis ace is subject to a shameless bout of sexism following defeat by Angelique Kerber…
By Tamara Roper
After being knocked out of Wimbledon by Angelique Kerber on Tuesday, Maria Sharapova came off the court to confront the usual barrage of press questions. In a display of disarming sexism, one journalist quipped that her loss could be seen as a gain, because she was now free to watch her boyfriend Grigor Dimitrov play Andy Murray in the afternoon. Wow. Bad move.
What Maria should have heard should have gone along the lines of this…
1. Congratulations on not having passed out after throwing yourself round that tennis court for over an hour!
2. Would you like some water and possibly five minutes to collect yourself?
3. At what point in the game did you feel you were playing your best?
4. Have you any inclination as to what’s next for you?
5. Would you like a glass of water to throw over the people who assume that all you’re interested in is your boyfriend?
6. We’re sure your equally successful boyfriend will be as proud of you as all of your fans are. You both make an incredibly attractive and successful couple.
7. Have you seen MTV’s behind the scenes look at the new Rizzle Kicks video that you star in?
8. Would you like some soothing music to wind down to now you’ve played that match?
9. There’s a pub round the corner where we can all go and sit in the garden and enjoy a well-deserved glass of champagne. Do you want to come?
10. We hope you enjoy the rest of your Wimbledon, our commiserations that you’re not in it anymore, but you’re still awesome. See you next year!