Get To Know: Amber Mark
This week, we get to know Grammy nominated singer-songwriter, producer, and global citizen – Amber Mark...
Having grown up travelling across Europe, Asia and America with her mother, Amber Mark’s sound is a fusion of the places she’s been, complemented by her distinctive vocals. Now based in New York, and having been co-signed by the likes of Annie Mac, Michelle Obama and Sade, she’s been steadily releasing music ahead of releasing her debut album and accompanying short film later this year. Following a sold-out London show, she promises more dates to come – and we can’t wait to see her bring the heat!
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
I’m a singer, songwriter and producer. I don’t really know where I’m from as my mother and I travelled all throughout my childhood. But I’m currently based in New York City.
2. Who/what inspired you to start a career in music?
I’ve loved music since I was a kid. In high school I got my first taste of performing on stage and that was it for me.
3. Who are your biggest musical influences?
4. Tell us about the writing and recording process of your new release…
It’s been four years in the making so there’s been many different journeys through the process. Some of it was written and produced by myself in my apartment. Some of it at writing camp in Ojai. And some with music sensei Julian Bunetta. He’s a genius and has the kindest of hearts. He’s one of the few producers I trust to work with.
5. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
There’s so many. There are the generic ones being you know, being nominated for a Grammy, meeting Quincy Jones... so much more, don’t want to be that name drop type. But really I think my biggest highlight has been the messages I get from fans who have connected with my music on another level. Where it’s helped them get through rough times or cope with losing someone. That’s really the biggest highlight for me.
6. Who would you be your dream collaboration and why?
Right now it’s Nick Hakim.
7. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
Yes Beyoncé, Q-Tip, Quincy, K Dot.
8. If you could only listen to one song on repeat for the rest of time what would it be and why?
'Thursday Afternoon' - Brian Eno, because I feel like I’m less likely to go crazy hearing something on repeat if it’s in the ambient genre.
9. What’s on your playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
Lots of Sufjan Stevens.
10. What can we expect from your live shows?
Some of the oldies.
Lots of the new ones.
Lots of dancing and singing.
11. Have you got any fun livestreams/online events planned for this year? / When can we see you live?
Got a lot of shows planned - nothing set in stone. CAN'T WAIT.