Get To Know: Dan D'Lion
Inspired by soul, electro, disco, pop, funk, and more; we catch up with genre-defying artist Dan D’Lion...
‘Dan D’Lion’ is a play on Dan Bartlett's name, and the introverted/extroverted sides of his personality: Lion and Dandelion. Born into a music-obsessed family, Dan D’Lion started off performing in bands, then writing and producing for other artists, but is now also crafting his own blend of delicious tunes for our enjoyment.
Influenced by a range of artists from the past and present, his infectious sound is hard to put into a box and shows no signs of changing. With the release of his latest EP Fruition, and some live dates planned, we can’t wait to see him bring the good vibes and energy in person soon!
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
I’m Dan, grew up in Reading, found my feet in London, east to be precise!
2. Who/what inspired you to start a career in music?
My whole family were musical so I was surrounded by it. I met two guys who invited me to join their band when we were like 10!! As soon as I met them, I was fixed on music. They’re my best mates still.
3. Who are your biggest musical influences?
N.E.R.D, Stevie Wonder, Jamiroquai, Rage Against The Machine.
4. Tell us about the writing and recording process of your new release…
This last project was my most collaborative. Being able to work with so many crazy talented people really allowed this project to be what it is. I’m very very proud of this one!
5. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
There are so many small achievements that I don’t take in at the time and that really bothers me! I’m always like, right cool… what’s next? But I think if I had to choose one, it would be the last show I played in London, it was electric.
6. Who would you be your dream collaboration and why?
Pharrell Williams. Anything he touches turns to gold and I want me some!!
7. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
Yeah, you know what one of my first jobs when I moved to London was waiting tables at events. I was working at an awards event with loads of celebs there, and tried to serve Rod Stewart a glass of red, he told me to leave the bottle…
8. If you could only listen to one song on repeat for the rest of time what would it be and why?
Bill Withers - 'Lovely Day'. It fills me with joy and never stops giving.
9. What’s on your playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
Boney M. - 'Daddy Cool'
Sade - 'Smooth Operator'
Megan Thee Stallion - 'Thot S**t'
10. What can we expect from your live shows?
Energy! Nothing gives me more than bringing my music to life. I’m currently working on a live show that is so ambitious but will be crazy! Come and see for yourself.
11. Have you got any fun livestreams/online events planned for this year? / When can we see you live?
July 22nd, London - first Thursday night of freedom (fingers crossed). Tickets available at dice.fm.