Get To Know: French The Kid
In the PUSH limelight this week is 22 year old rapper, French The Kid...
This week we’re getting to know, French The Kid…the 22 year-old rapper was born in Essex but spent his childhood growing up in Australia and France. His smooth flow interchanges between French and English lyrics which has caught the attention of fans across the world. French The Kid’s debut mixtape ‘Never been Ordinary’ is out now and you can catch him live at festivals over summer including Wireless and Reading & Leeds Festival!
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
My name is French The Kid. I’m 22, from Romford Essex and i love creating music. All types and tempos. Learning how to really produce too.
2. Who/what inspired you to start a career in music?
Many things... growing up hearing so much different music being played from my mum gave me that interest. Then just freestyling with friends, which showed me that I was actually decent.
3. Who are your biggest musical influences?
Difficult to pinpoint my influences as they are so varied and I listen to a wide collection of different genres, but I will always reference 50 Cent as my biggest rap influence.
4. Tell us about the writing and recording process of your new release…
The project is a collection of songs that we've been making over 2 years, so different tracks were created in different ways. But the general pattern was me connecting with an intsrumental and either writing to it at home or when I'm in the studio. A lot of the records were also produced by my guy Lovelife which is a collaborative effort that I love.
5. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
Probably selling out Islington O2. Its one thing knowing your fans are listening to your music, but to see them in person is different
6. Who would you be your dream collaboration and why?
Really difficult one... 50 Cent I guess.
7. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
Not yet. But i've always been a big Bugzy Malone fan, so meeting and working with him was proper cool!
8. If you could only listen to one song on repeat for the rest of time what would it be and why?
Something from Jimi Hendrix or Black Keys...
9. What’s on your playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
House music... lots of house!
10. What can we expect from your live shows?
Loads of energy, water being spilt, mosh pits and generally a great time! We toured at the end of last year, which was my first experience being 'on the road' and I loved it. Seeing fans from all around the UK going mental to songs I made in a studio. It's only right, we make it worth their while.
11. When can we see you live this year?
We will be touring towards the end of the year. I'll also be at Wireless Festival, Reading & Leeds and a few others. Check the website!
French The Kid’s debut mixtape ‘Never been Ordinary’ is out now!