Get To Know: Hobo Johnson
Sparse - weird - natural. Here's why you should be listening to Hobo Johnson.
The American spoken-word and hip hop artist from Sacramento is here to tell us a bit more about him, and you're going to be obsessed with his unique sound.
Entering the music scene at the age of 15, it’s clear Johnson’s passion for music has always been within him. Originally calling himself ‘Homeless Johnson’, after being kicked out of his home by his father at the age of 19, Johnson changed his music alter-ego to ‘Hobo Johnson’, and so began his rise to fame.
His music is different. It’s not like anything you’ve heard before because it doesn’t follow any rules, it’s laced with a strong sense of freedom and it explores a side of music we don’t hear enough in mainstream media. It’s weird, it flows naturally, and it rules.
We sat down to get to know more about him and you can find it all below…
1) For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
My name is Frank Lopes, from Sacramento, CA.
I'm a chill bro, here for the weekend.
2) Describe your sound in three words…
Sparse - weird - natural.
3) Who inspired you to start a career in music?
My cousin showed me how to work Fruity Loops when I was in 6th grade or so. I got pretty hype on it, then left it alone for a few years.
4) Who are your biggest musical influences?
Conor Oberst, Chance the Rapper, The Front Bottoms.
5) Tell us about the writing and recording process for your new single/album…
The process usually starts with me writing some weird poem about something that’s going on in my life. Once it gets a bit more developed I match it with a melody on guitar or piano that I've had floating around. A lot of my songs are 70 - 75 bpm, so the they're a bit interchangeable.
6) What can we expect from your live shows?
Technical difficulties and awkward eye contact.
7) What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
Playing our first festival set (Outside Lands). A festival I've wanted to go to for years but have been too broke. To be able to go this year, and play it, made me freak out.
8) Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
I met Tyler, The Creator for a few minutes and that was pretty wild.
9) What’s on your playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
Havana by Camila Cabello. Sh*ts hot.
10) When can we see you live?
Not sure when we're touring next. Playing festivals in the States but after that, nothing planned.
Would like to not really think about it for a while, the boys and I need a break.