Get To Know: Sam Gellaitry
Electronic artist Sam Gellaitry is in our Get To Know spotlight this week talking Daft Punk, Snoop Dogg and Coachella...
Hailing from central Scotland, singer, songwriter, DJ and producer Sam Gellaitry blew up on SoundCloud gaining millions of plays and thousands of fans who, like us are captivated by his unique sound.
The 23-year-old musical synesthete (he experiences music through colour) started producing at an early age and before getting signed, touring the world, and even playing Coachella festival. Inspired by the likes of Daft Punk, Hudson Mohawke, Madlib and Kaytranada, Sam definitely knows his stuff, and with the recent release of his EP, IV, we can’t wait to see what he’s got in store for us when he performs live.
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
Hi! I’m Sam Gellaitry, singer/songwriter and music producer based up in central Scotland.
2. Who/what inspired you to start a career in music?
I’ve been drawn to music since as far back as I can remember. I remember seeing the music video for ‘Feel Good Inc’ which instantly got me curious about learning bass/instruments in general. Then hearing Daft Punk’s music shortly after is when I started having an urge to produce music.
3. Who are your biggest musical influences?
So Daft Punk is where it all started, but following from there, the likes of Röyksopp, Flying Lotus, Rustie, Hudson Mohawke, Madlib, Toro Y Moi, Kaytranada, the list goes on and on!
4. Tell us about the writing and recording process of your new release…
The latest track ‘Assumptions’ is a completed version of a demo I started in 2019, the rest are tracks conceived during lockdown! Basically, I just put what was on my mind each day, down to a melody. It’s a really strange thing explaining the process of how certain tracks end up at their end point, but the way I like to see it is that the track already exists, you just have to find it.
5. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
Has to be closing the Gobi tent at Coachella 2017!
6. Who would you be your dream collaboration and why?
André 3000 or Sade! Aside from the obvious reasons, they have my favourite tones vocally and their catalogues are pretty much faultless.
7. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
Seeing Snoop Dogg in person was a wild moment, but didn’t have the nerve to speak to him! I’ve met some of my musical heroes though and been blown away by how down to Earth they are.
8. If you could only listen to one song on repeat for the rest of time what would it be and why?
Tough one! ‘Blue Moon Tree’ by Lone is one of the most addictive songs I’ve ever laid ears on. Highly recommended!
9. What’s on your playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
Nothing! I don’t use playlists weirdly enough, in terms of my music tastes though I’m not sure really! If I had to pick something, I think the old 1975 stuff always felt separate from my tastes when I’d listen to that a lot.
10. What can we expect from your live shows?
I’ve only ever DJ’d live so it will be a transition from a shy DJ, into me singing my heart out and hoping the crowd know at least a couple words! Gonna leave the rest a mystery but definitely going to have some fun up there!
11. Have you got any fun livestreams/online events planned for this year? / When can we see you live?
I believe there’s some fun livestreams in the pipeline and I have a few dates in the UK to announce shortly!