Get To Know: Sam Ryder
This week we get to know Essex based singer, songwriter and guitarist – Sam Ryder...
Sam’s been singing since he was a child, and was inspired to pursue music seriously after seeing Sum 41 live when he was still in school. After getting experience performing in several bands, Sam started working on solo material, but found fame during the pandemic performing cover versions on TikTok.
With over 10 million followers, and having caught the eyes (and ears) of the likes of Sia, Alicia Keys and Justin Bieber, he signed to a label and has recently released his EP ‘The Sun’s Gonna Rise’. With upcoming shows before the end of the year, as well as a sold out UK tour in 2022, we’re sure the only way is up for this rising star.
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
Hi! I’m Sam Ryder from Essex, and I make music from my garden shed!
2. Who/what inspired you to start a career in music?
Me and my friends went to see Sum 41 when we were in year 7 and that really fired us up. We wrote a ‘10 step plan to getting signed’ in the back of our science books and everything!
3. Who are your biggest musical influences?
Whoever put the Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 soundtrack together!
4. Tell us about the writing and recording process of your new release…
It was in a studio in Bournemouth by the sea. I arrived at the session way too early so slept in a National Trust car park until the studio opened. Apparently, that helped because once we started, the song was finished in 30 minutes! (I’m now a National Trust member because I’m superstitious).
5. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
My first London show! It was the first time I’d been able to play these songs in front of living, breathing people! For most of us in the room it was our first gig back together since the pandemic started. To be honest, it was a pretty emotional evening, especially when I clocked my mum in the crowd. An unforgettable night.
6. Who would you be your dream collaboration and why?
Sia, because she’s the absolute greatest and she loves reality TV!
7. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
You know what’s ridiculous? The first people I met and like, hung out with socially when lockdown lifted was Adam Lambert and Boy George. (I was stoked and didn’t hide it).
8. If you could only listen to one song on repeat for the rest of time what would it be and why?
Easy! ‘You Can Call Me Al’ by Paul Simon. I’m literally listening to it now.
9. What’s on your playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
I have no idea how it started but lately I’ve been listening to mad choral music in the bath… Bond villain spa vibes.
10. What can we expect from your live shows?
Moments of pure joy, floods of tears, and £15 cocktails if it’s in London.
11. Have you got any live shows planned?
YES! I just announced my first ever UK tour kicking off in January 2022. Somehow it completely sold out so huge love to anyone that bought a ticket, you’re the absolute best! I’m also playing at The Courtyard Theatre in London this October and ‘The Great Escape First Fifty’ this November… come say hi! Beyond that, exciting plans for 2022, so you’ll have to watch this Space, Man!