Get To Know: Shygirl
Genre-bending Shygirl is in the Get To Know spotlight this week!
London born and bred artist Shygirl is a genre mixing rapper making music unapologetically. She experiments with different sounds, lyricism and genres and this was no more apparent than on her latest EP ALIAS.
Speaking to Dazed magazine last winter she says that “I don’t like repeating myself, in my work or in conversation”. With bold and provocative lyrics, she says that she created her alter ego of ‘Shygirl’ in order to address these subjects in her music, and it was in 2016 that she released her debut single ‘Want More’. Her latest release has elements of grime, garage, house and futuristic club beats, and we’re just SO ANNOYED we haven’t got to hear it in the clubs yet!
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
I’m Shygirl and I’m from London. I make music about being selfish with my desires and I love a sexy beat.
2. Who/what inspired you to start a career in music?
My friends inspired me, they were the first ones to listen to my music and support me.
3. Who are your biggest musical influences?
Madonna, Björk, Róisín Murphy, Aphex Twin, Mariah Carey.
4. Tell us about the writing and recording process of your new release…
It felt biblical the way the words just came to me aha, I’d like to take all the credit but honestly I just feel like I’m saying what everyone is thinking.
5. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
Getting to direct my own videos, being able to pool together some of my favourite creatives and making my imagination real, that’s always a highlight.
6. Who would you be your dream collaboration and why?
Dream collab wouldn’t actually be musical, I’d rather plot something with Elon Musk maybe like a new brain chip so everyone can stream Shygirl direct to their head lol.
7. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
Not yet, I think up close everyone feels real all of a sudden and it’s hard to be starstruck.
8. If you could only listen to one song on repeat for the rest of time what would it be and why?
It would be 'Swollen' by Bent (Chillout Mix) because I’ve been listening to that on repeat since I was a kid, it’s nice to have a song that the meaning changes for you as you get older but stays with you.
9. What’s on your playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
'6 Underground' - Sneaker Pimps.
10. What can we expect from your live shows?
Obsession, intimacy, playtime.
11. Have you got any fun livestreams/online events planned for this year? / When can we see you live?
Have to wait and see but something fun planned to start the summer... you can also catch me at Standon Calling, Parklife and HappyLand and a few other festivals!