Get To Know: Tai Verdes
This week we “get weird” with the artist behind one of the biggest viral hits of 2020 – Tai Verdes...
At just 25 years old, the LA native has already worn a lot of hats. He’s been a college basketball player, model, essential worker in a phone shop, won season six of MTV’s Are You The One and racked up millions of views and streams online for his hit song 'Stuck in the Middle'.
Off of the back of his 2021 album TV, a Lollapalooza performance and tour dates this autumn, we’re sure we’re be hearing a lot more from Tai Verdes in the future...
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
My name is Tai Verdes. I write songs and produce music. I grew up in LA.
2. Who/what inspired you to start a career in music?
I’ve always loved music, my mom put me in piano lessons, and I always loved finding new music in all different genres.
3. Who are your biggest musical influences?
Childish Gambino, Kanye West, Billie Eilish, Tyler, the Creator. Anyone who carries a personality within their music. I think having that through-line is a super special quality that not a lot of people can pull off.
4. Tell us about the writing and recording process of your new release…
The writing process happened super organically. I was just writing non-stop, after my job at Verizon. It was kind of like a diary of the last four years. Then, my manager introduced me to Adam Friedman, and it was like a cherry on top kind of thing. We hit it off instantly and just started making music that we were both super hype on.
5. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
Playing at Lollapalooza was the wildest thing so far. Seeing all of those people in person was crazy as f**k. I never expected to see so many people come out, let alone for my set. I can’t believe I started this thing on the internet. Now it’s translating into real life and it’s amazing to see.
6. Who would you be your dream collaboration and why?
There’s a lot of artists out there I look up to, but at the end of the day, I just want to be friends with people. That’s how the best music gets made. Building relationships is more important to me.
7. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
I did when I was younger but now, I realise that were all just people.
8. If you could only listen to one song on repeat for the rest of time what would it be and why?
It would probably be '29 #Strafford APTS'. Bon Iver is a guy who can make a song speak to you in such a special way. Any of his songs I could put on forever.
9. What’s on your playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
I listen to everything. I had the theme song from United Airlines on my playlist. Gershwin has got the heat.
10. What can we expect from your live shows?
Me running around until I pass out. If I don’t pass out after the show, then I didn’t do my job. I’m trying to learn how to do a backflip. So maybe a backflip. No promises though.
11. Have you got any fun livestreams/online events planned for this year? / When can we see you live?
I’m going on tour with Quinn XCII and Chelsea Cutler in September and then heading out on my own headlining tour in November. I can’t wait to see everyone who has planned to come see me. Let’s get weird.