12 Genius Bra Hacks You Need In Your Life
Ahhh bras. They can either be the best thing in the world, designed to cradle your boobs in a soft embrace like the glorious creations they are, OR they can be the worst things, trapping you from gland to nip in an uncomfortable, wirey prison hell all day.
Conquering the battle of getting sized up, perfecting the cleavage levels, matching up shapes with colours AND tweaking the fastenings is just the first half of the battle, and there's endless other bra-related struggles out there guaranteed to get your straps in a twist every now and again.
But have no fear, oh bra-wearing babe, because we've trawled the entire internet to find 12 golden hacks guaranteed to make your bra-based life a whole lot easier. Lovely jubblies.
1. Make your own racerback fit.Rocking a racerback is perfect for getting sweat at the gym, but straps flashing either side is super annoying and ruins the sleek, streamlined silhouette. Thumbs down to that, but if you happen to have a paperclip handy then it's problem solved, buddy.
Just pinch the straps together and slide the paperclip between the two, to keep your bra straps connected right at the middle of your back. If you’re feeling super fancy, you can buy properly designed bra clips to do the job aswell.
2. Solve the ol’ straps digging in.Bra straps leaving life-long grooves in your shoulders has got to be one of the ultimate girl struggles - particularly if you're mega blessed in the mammary department. But all you need is a couple of silicone pads to solve the problem, pronto.
Using either some silicon boob enhancers OR the type that you pop in your shoes for comfort, you can simply slide the squishy pads just under your straps where they usually dig in for some extra padding. Genius.
FYI though, if it’s a constant problem you’re probably wearing the wrong bra size and your straps are working too hard – you might have to go down a band size and up a cup size.
3. Keep your strapless bra up 24/7.Ahh strapless bras, the ultimate frenemy. Yes you can just tuck the straps in, but if you’re in need of some extra grip on those puppies to stop it slipping all over the place, then here’s what you need to do.
Take out one of the straps from a bra that lets you remove the straps completely. Hook it onto one side of the hooks, bring it around your front and hook it on to the other side. One you’re in, it’s kinda like a boob seatbelt and will stop a strapless bra from budging.
4. Make your fit last way longer.Treating yourself to a new bra every now and again can make you feel like a WHOLE NEW WOMAN, but let’s face it, it’s expensive af to get kitted out with new undies.
Make sure your fit lasts as long as poss by thinking about the back hooks. When you do buy a new bra, make sure it’s one that fits perfectly when fasted on the loosest column of hooks. That way, when it starts to loosen with wear, you can keep going one hook tighter rather than just chucking it away. Tah dahhh.
5. Stop it showing through your tee.Agh, is there anything more eye roll-worthy than putting on a tshirt and realising you can literally SEE your whole tshirt bra through it – shape, size, colour, the whole shebang - even if it’s a white bra under a white tee?
If you wanna avoid that annoying mini disaster, make sure to opt for a nude tshirt bra that matches closely to the colour of your skin rather than your shirt. And if it’s a black tshirt? Avoid nude and white – always wear black under black.
6. Nevereverever fold a bra in on itself.Now it’s time to talk storage. Make sure to always store your bras completely unfolded and stacked one behind or on top of the other when youre keeping them in an underwear draw.
The alternative is not cute. If you’re folding your bras in half, that means you’re bending the wires, destroying the moulding, inverting the cups and creasing the pads, which will eventually render your favourite undies all kinds of useless.
7. And if you’re outta draw space, HANG THEM UP.On a cute little bra hanger ike this. Genius.
8. Low back dress? Low effort solution.
Low back dresses look seriously smokin’ for a big night out – unless you’ve got that classic, slightly grey-washed, ever so slightly skanky granny bra showing right across the whole thing. Kinda ruins your seductive, glamorous vibe.
You can buy super fancy, innovative bras with feature an extra strap to wrap around your front and strap everything into position under cover – or you can make your own version for cheap as cheaps by following this genius tutorial. Crafty.
9. Boobs needs support but you DON’T wanna wear a bra?Some boobs just NEED a bit of additional assistance when popped into a dress, but that's no prahhblem. How about this for a nifty idea – just chop of the straps of a supportive bra, cut out the back section and hand sew the sturdy cups INTO your dress.
It won’t feel like you’re wearing an actual bra, but the cups will still be hidden away, supporting and keeping everything in the right place like a long distance friend.
10. Stop your straps from falling down.Is there ANYTHING more annoying than having to hoist your straps up constantly when you’re wearing a short sleeved tee or a vest? No, there isn't.
If it’s your ultimate pet hate, you can sew a pair of teeny tiny tabs into the shoulder seams of your tops, run the straps through them each time you wear them, and they’ll be locked into place the whole time you’re wearing ‘em. Time consuming, but once it's done, it's done.
11. Make sure you don’t get poked in the boob.Oh we’ve all been there with that bra that you love so much and can’t let go of. You try to get one last day of wear out of it, and the underwire betrays you, finally breaking through the worn fabric and POKING you mercilessly right in the precious boob.
No worries if you happen to have a sanitary towel in your bag. Chop off a little bit of the towel and use its sticky back to wrap around the wire. It’ll be cushioned to perfection and officially pain free.
12. Do the twist for mega cleavage.Kylie Jenner revealed a little while ago that her secret to eye-popping cleavage is the Victoria's Secret Bombshell Bra. It gives around a TWO CUP size increase, which is pretty crazy, but it's also pricey. Rather than forking out at VS, you could just steal its secret technique.
The Bombshell bra uses a sneaky twisting trick to give boobs a boost. Just twist your bra around in the middle to bring the cups together, push your breasts closer together and add a little lift. It's not great for the bra itself though, so maybe don't try this one with your brand new, super fancy set.
Words by Lucy Wood
Now that you're all clued up on bra hacks, let's check out this video full of 5 massage hacks that will CHANGE. YOUR. LIFE. Seriously.