15 Of The Absolute Weirdest Beauty Products And Gadgets
All you have to do is head over to YouTube to see that there are some weird af beauty treatments out there these days.
They all come with the aim of flawless skin, zero wrinkles and a glowy goddess look – but to get the dream face that they promise, you'll have to indulge in some seriously strange techniques.
Still, it’s pretty great to watch vloggers and bloggers trying out all of these mental gadgets and gizmos so that you don’t have to inflict them on your own beautiful mush.Here’s 15 of the absolute WEIRDEST (but still kinda cool and tempting) beauty products and tools ever invented.
1. A hand held threader for facial hair
Um, so this thing is fairly terrifying and said to be SERIOUSLY painful, so we’re not too sure why you’d actually put yourself through it. But, as tested by Em Ford over at MyPaleSkin, this truly bonkers contraption known as the Braouns Silk Smooth Epilator uses two menacing metal spokes to thread the tiny hairs on your face off. Pretty sure this is classed as torture in some parts of the world, but hey.
2. A tomato face mask for brighteningYou might think that tomato strictly belongs on pizza, sandwiches or salads at a push - but have you ever thought about smooshing it all over your face? Nope, us either. Funny that. But, according to Korean skincare brand Tony Moly, this cream-formula combo of tomato extracted water and tomato ingredients will give you magical, vitalised skin. Either way, the pacakaging for their TONYMOLY Tomatox Tomato Brightening Mask is cute af.
3. Vibrating foundation sponge for a perfect base
Yep, you're right - it IS slightly dodgy looking, but this beauty gadget has been floating around Instagram as the new must-have way to apply your makeup base. ColorMe's Foundation Applicator works by pulsing 15,000 times per minute against your skin (ooh-err), to mimic a super bouncy blending technique that's supposed to give you an airbrushed look. We’ll probably be sticking to the trusty ol’ beauty blender, but YouTube beauty gurus like Looking For Lewys actually seem pretty impressed by the results it gives.
4. Silisponge for makeup application
A couple of months ago, you probably couldn't move in your subscription box for review videos on this bad boy. The Silisponge caused an absolute sensation in the online makeup community thanks to its promise to deliver perfectly blended, undetectable foundation application - all while soaking up ZERO excess product. The Silisponge seems to work for some and epicly fail for others like Gabbie Velvetgh0st - but the main conclusion is just that it makes a truly alarming noise while you're slapping it against your face. Ahem.
5. Blackhead vacuum for clearing pores
Ever wished during one of your spot squeezing sessions that you could just grab the hoover and suck out all the crap from within your skin? Well errr, now you can. Sort of. You can't get rid of your pores or shrink them, but you can keep them from getting bigger by making sure they don't fill up with oil, dirt and sebum. These DIY machines might sound like a dream for your complexion, but their strong vacuum suction ain't no joke, and can actually leave your face bright red and even bruised as seen on Em Ford. Yikes. A better option is probably a hydrafacial from a facialist professional.
6. Post Poo Drops for errr... yepNot kidding, this stuff genuinely exists under that actual name, and is rather confusingly sold by super fancy skincare brand, Aesop. According to the label, they'll help you out of embarrassing situations when "vigorous activity has occurred in the bathroom". Christ. All you do is grab your luxury pippett and add a few droplets into the toilet bowl before flushing. Does this even count as a beauty product? Has anyone ever actually bought this? What does it make your bathroom smell like? So many questions, so few Post Poo Drops related answers.
7. Footner socks for silky smooth feetOhmahgahd. If you have never invested in a pair of Footner socks before, head out and buy yourself some immediately. They're the single most disgusting, terrifying, revolting beauty product that you will ever use in your life, but also the single most satisfying and effective. The exfoliating socks promise 'baby soft feet' by causing your dead skin to literally SHED from your body, somewhat horrifically over a period 10 days. If you feel like watching a horror film, try googling 'Footner results' instead.
8. Sephora Things Are Looking Up Curler for lashesAt first glance, there's many options for what this eyelash curler COULD be. A movie screen projector? A heavy duty office printer? Some kind of fancy toaster? Luckily, none of them are correct and instead it's just a highly effective compact eyelash curler that's sold over in Sephora. The open cage design won't pinch your outer lashes like conventional curlers can, and you've even got a spare pad tucked inside the base of the curler for emergencies.
9. Eyelid trainer for something or otherJapanese beauty enthusiasts take things to the NEXT LEVEL when it comes to their facial routine. While you're trying to find the energy to grab your flannel and cleanser, they're bringing in actual eyelid trainers. Aimed at people with monolids who want to have more of a double fold shape to their eyelids, this super weird glasses-type contraption uses a nylon yarn to forms and separate a double eyelid for you... *shudder*
10. Giant rubber lips for a slimmer faceOkay, this one surely takes every kind of biscuit going. JUST LOOK AT IT. If you've ever fancied making your face slimmer, just pop in the giant rubber lips for three minutes a day and make a whole load of ridiculous movements with your mouth. The makers recommend you say vowel sounds out loud over and over again to strengthen your twelve facial expression muscles. Errr... think we'll pass on that one, but you do you, honey.
11. An actual face iron for wrinklesWhat the actual eff. Yes it heats up, yes you genuinely iron your own face, yes it claims to flatten out wrinkles and creases like a real life iron on a shirt. The OMNI Nasolabial Iron is next level dedication to perfect skin, as it uses heat to apparently banish your crow’s feet, fine wrinkles and eye bags. It's almost definitely nowhere near as horrifying as we're making it sound, though. Look how happy the model is to be ironing her own face.
12. Rainbow hair dye for pubesIn the grand scheme of other stuff included in this article, dying your pubes all colours of the rainbow is actually fairly average, but it's still quite hard to imagine looking down and NOT being very surprised to see hot pink pubes sitting pretty in your undies. Love Betty Colour Kits offer a full range of colours to suit every crotch, and contain natural ingredients such as Elder Flower, Chamomile and Aloe. CUTE.
13. Brow stamp for automatic fleeky brows
Eyebrows are hard enough to perfect when you're armed with pencils, gels, pomades and powders - let alone when you have to hope for the best and stamp them straight onto your face. GlamLifeGuru aka Tati gave the brow stamp a whirl and found that it was surprisingly useful to use, stayed in place all day long and would be a pretty great option for people like cancer patients who don't have any brows at all. So there you go.
14. Rubber face mask for super smooth skin
Yup, this one's all kinds of odd. Not your average face mask, Bliss's Mask A-Peel is a RUBBERIZING formula, which basically turns your face into one big inflatable rubber ring. The mask transforms from a wet, gloopy formula on your skin, into a squishy, floppy-but-solid texture when dried. According to Roxxsaurus, it was a pretty gross but cool and unique product to use, and left her skin feeling super soft to the touch. Wahey.
15. Bouncy Cheese Cream for your faceDunking your face into melted cheese might be your ultimate dream, but until the magical day when that one comes true, this is probably as close as you can get. Korean brand Bounce Cheese Cream has created 'Dream', which boasts a unique formula blend of cream cheese and proteins for firmness, elasticity, tight pores and smooth skin. Between your fingers, this stuff will literally feel like melted cheese - just don't go putting it on your toastie by accident. - Words by Lucy Wood
CRIKEY. Now that we've been enlightened by all of that, let's have a watch of the ultimate lesson in feminism, AWOO.