17 Things You Never Knew About Paper Towns & The Fault In Our Stars
Because knowledge is power.
John Green's latest film adaptation Paper Towns is finally hitting cinemas Monday (August 17) and we literally couldn't be more excited if we tried.
So what better way to celebrate than with these 18 facts you (probably) never knew about both of John's films, Paper Towns and the huge 2014 hit The Fault in Our Stars?
1. John Green didn’t know who Cara Delevingne was when she auditioned for the role of Margo in Paper Towns
2. While John fell in love with Cara as Margo after her audition, Shailene Woodley was originally cast, and after she pulled out, he wanted YouTuber Emma Blackery to star
3. John had a cameo in The Fault in Our Stars but it got cut – the directed told him his acting was ‘perfectly adequate’ though
4. John thinks the film version ending of TFiOS is better than the book
5. Sets from the hit TV show Homeland were recycled into sets for Paper Towns
6. While an executive producer on Paper Towns, John reckons he didn’t have a real role on set of the movie. He told TIME: “Most of my job is to be excited”
7. John tried his hand at screenwriting for Paper Towns several years ago, but said it was ‘awful’
8. The Sea World scene in Paper Towns isn’t in the film, due to obvious controversies surrounding it
9. The original ending of TFiOS John submitted to publishers was meant to have a completely different ending, with Hazel getting involved with Mexican drug lords... really
10. Director Jake Schreier wore a suit to the Paper Towns set every day, fancy
11. The Paper Towns cast lived together in the same flat building during shooting, to help them bond. They bonded so well they nearly got kicked out by the landlords
12. TFiOS' eulogy scene took the longest to film and was only finished after around 12-14 hours
13. TFiOS has both a theatrical and an extended cut, which is described as a ‘gift to the fans’
14. Nat went very method for his role as Augustus’ blind friend Isaac in TFiOS by wearing blackout lenses during scenes
15. John gave everyone in the cast and crew presents when Paper Towns was almost done filming
16. John, a huge football fan, admitted he ruined a take by screaming on the Paper Towns set after finding out his favourite team (Liverpool) were going to play AFC Wimbledon (the club he sponsors)
17. John Green admitted that, “there was never a world in which we were going to make a Paper Towns movie that Nat wasn’t going to be in”
Everything You Need To Know About Paper Towns Author John Green