Pokemon Go Tips: How To Train, Catch Rare Pokémon, Win Gym Battles And More!
Everything you need to be the very best Pokémon trainer.
Pokémon Go is probably either installed on your phone already and you’re addicted OR you’ve heard so much about it you’re seriously thinking of getting involved. Either way, if you want to really have fun, these tips and tricks are what you need to get the most out of the mobile game.
Here’s how to play Pokémon Go for fun while also becoming the best Pokemon trainer evs so you can win gym battles, find and catch rare Pokémon, level up and more.
Win gym battles
Pokémon gyms are dotted all over the world and each acts as a place to train or battle Pokémon. There are three gym types, each for the type of trainer you choose to be: Instinct in yellow, Mystic in blue or Valor in red. If you go to a gym that’s your team’s then you can train to help improve that gym and win PokéCoins which can be used to buy things in the Store which ultimately makes you better.
Gyms work on prestige levels from one to five which denote how many trainers can represent that gym. So a top Level Five gym can have five different trainers’ Pokémon on each level. As you train at a friendly gym, and win, the prestige goes up creating more slots for trainers - up to level five. If you go to an enemy gym and win a battle their prestige goes down - ultimately you or your team can make the gym theirs if all the defenders are beaten.
You train and battle simply by tapping the enemy to attack or pressing for a power move. Use your Potions and Revive to heal injured Pokémon as you switch to another of your three allotted Pokémon to continue the fight for a win. So, make sure you have the best ready for battle.
To find gyms, your best bet is to aim for public places like churches, parks and clubs.
Catch rare Pokémon
Some Pokémon are tougher to find than others and that’s usually because they’re really worth finding. If you’ve already got a Charizard, Blastoise or Alakazam then lucky you - for those still hunting, take note.
There are two types of rare Pokémon: Rare and Legendary, the latter being even more difficult to find. Some Legendary Pokémon confirmed in the code of the game but not *officially* revealed out there right now are Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos and Ditto.
One simple way to find more rare Pokémon is to raise your level. The higher your level, the higher the level of the Pokémon that appear around you. So as your trainer level and CP stats go up, so will the chances of finding a rare Pokémon.
Previously, third party apps like Pokévision showed you where Pokémon were, but that’s been shut down. Even the ‘Nearby’ display that had feet marks to show distance has been disabled. But hope is not lost! A recent update means you can now check Pokéstops to see which Pokémon are nearby. Then you can head closer and start hunting.
Bare in mind if you’re looking for certain Pokémon that they appear in relevant areas. So water types will be found near rivers and lakes, psychic types near graveyards and fire or ground found near drier desert climates.
Become the VERY BEST trainer
• Some simple tips for finding Pokémon and improving your level:
• Explore unvisited places.
• Use lures and incense to draw Pokémon to you.
• Look for rustling leaves in the game - that means a Pokemon's hiding there.
• Turn off AR as it makes throwing accurately more tough.
• Don’t be afraid to use Razz Berries on wild Pokémon to make catching easier.
• Level up and then power up as it costs less when you have higher XP.
• Transfer Pokémon to the professor for candies to level up.
• Use your Lucky Eggs when you know you’ll have lots going on.
• Re-visit Pokéstops if you’re staying nearby.
• Only fight battles you can win.
• Restart the app when it crashes to avoid wasting steps taken.
• Don’t re-enter gyms if kicked out, there’s no reward.
• Use infinite incubators for short walk evolutions and others for 10km.
Happy Pokemon training!
- By Luke Edwards @eelukee