11 of the Craziest Pretty Little Liars Fan Theories
Let’s be honest, most theories we read about Pretty Little Liars sound crazy to us, up until the moment they actually happen. Case and point, somebody on the show really turning out to have an ‘evil’ twin – oh hey, Mary Drake.
But over the years, some theories have stuck around for the long haul. And while none of these have become canon, we definitely won’t be shocked if some really do become a reality during season 7B. Yes, we mean Maya…
1. Aria is ‘A’Not one episode of PLL has ever gone by without someone adding a brand new ‘clue’ to the endless Aria is ‘A’ theory.
Surely, Aria has been tortured by ‘A’ too many times for this to check out – she nearly got turned into ice cream that one time! But hey, that doesn’t mean we don’t want it to happen. Dark Aria is our absolute favourite.
2. Sara Harvey was Bethany YoungSome PLL fans would like to forget Bethany Young ever existed thanks to the fact her presence alone basically ruins the entire show’s timeline, but here we are.
Ever since Sara Harvey was found in the dollhouse, theorists have speculated that she’s not who she says she is, and reckon the plot would make more sense if Sara/Bethany had been helping Charlotte since they were friends in Radley when they were kids.
When we see Melissa burying Bethany’s body (thinking it’s Ali), it’s possibly that it was the real Sara Harvey – and considering we never see the girl’s face, that means there’s always room for Marlene to throw even more surprises at us.
3. Aria’s parents are Jessica DiLaurentis and Scott MontgomeryBecause no PLL theory is complete without a mention of Aria, a new theory has been brought forward by Cosmopolitan, who reckon that the mysterious mentions of Byron Montgomery’s brother will come back to make sense in 7B.
Back in season 2, Mike was having some behavioural problems, which led to Byron suggesting he go see a psychiatrist – ominously noting that ‘they never did that for his brother Scott… and look what happened to him’.
What better way to turn Aria a little dark than for her to find out that her uncle is actually her father and that she’s half sisters with Ali?
4. Ali is ‘A’It’s hard to believe that when PLL first aired, the Liars thought their texts from ‘A’ were actually from Ali.
Wouldn’t it be so full-circle if in the end, Ali really was the Big Bad? It would definitely make up for the weird, submissive Ali we’ve had to deal with for the last season – and we need her back at her best.
5. Andrew Campbell and Hanna’s ex Sean are twinsI’m not sure what this theory would even mean, but it’s still a good excuse to freak out at how similar these two guys look. I mean, seriously... We’d be happy to run into them at The Old Campbell Farm anytime.
6. Maya is aliveIt’s been speculated about ever since Maya was revealed to be dead at the end of season 2, and it’s the one theory that will never die.
Since you never see Maya’s actual body (who would trust a Rosewood coroner at this point?) it’s easy to think she really might be alive somewhere – but if she does have a big return happening in 7B, what could it be?
One thing’s for sure, she better not ruin Emison.
7. Wren and Archer Dunhill are brothersOh, we get it, because two people who have British accents just have to be related, eh?
Offense aside, this would actually be a pretty great twist – and since Wren is making his return to Rosewood this season, we wouldn’t put it past Marlene to give him a juicy storyline to go with it.
Plus, it means we finally get to say ‘I told you so’ to everyone who refused to believe Wren was a villain. He’s the villain we DESERVE.
8. Hanna is psychicRemember that time in 7A when Hanna had a dream about Ali telling the girls that Noel pushed someone down some stairs at a party, and then she says it out loud like it’s a fact and Ali goes along with it? Clearly, Hanna is psychic.
This theory not only deals with that annoying plot hole, but could also explain her other dreams – like the one where Spencer came to her torture barn and showed her how to escape. We always thought Hanna was kindred souls with Mrs. Grunwald after all…
9. Alison really did kill CharlotteAnother theory focussing on Ali going dark, it is kind of the perfect cover for Ali to say she got extremely close with Charlotte when in reality she wanted to punish her for everything she did to her and the Liars.
Plus, maybe Ali was jealous of Charlotte’s relationship with Dr. Rollins? Oooh yes, we like this one.
10. Ali blinded Jenna on purpose‘The Jenna Thing’ is a big catalyst in terms of what happens with the Liars, but what if the girls’ first secret was actually a lie told by Ali?
One theory notes that ‘A’ (who had been terrorising Ali before ‘that night’) could’ve blackmailed Ali into throwing a firecracker into the garage Jenna was in – which ultimately could’ve implicated Ali in more shady business with ‘A’.
11. Nothing in the show has been real, but just a hallucination of someone in Radley SanitariumCAN YOU IMAGINE? Actually, we can. To be honest, the last 30 seconds of PLL will probably just be footage of us all checking ourselves into Radley and playing with some dolls. It’s been a wild ride.