8 Things Everyone Learns After Dating A Total Asshole
There's something to be said in starting from the bottom and working your way up.
No matter how many times people warn you off falling for the dark, mysterious, and eternally moody bad boy/girl, sometimes you actually have to take the plunge and date the miserable sod before you realise exactly what makes them so awful.
On the plus side, shacking up with potentially the worst person on the planet will probably result in you learning a few valuable lessons about yourself, the world, and - more importantly - what you want in a partner going forwards.
Let's get checking out a bunch of grown men doing their best to apply fake lashes...
There’s definitely something romantic in the idea of swooping into someone’s life and rescuing them from their wreckage of their own bad decisions. It’s only after you’ve gone through hell and back that you fully understand the phrase “A leopard never changes its spots.”
Life is short
Let’s face it, you probably wasted weeks, months, or years on someone who only ever made you feel crap about yourself. Having cut the relationship off for good, your eyes are now wide open to the fact that each day spent being miserable is 24 hours of precious human life down the drain.
Actions speak louder than words
Only someone who has survived dating a total douchebag could ever understand how tough it can be calling BS on someone you’re determined to see the best in. But here’s the thing, their actions rarely (or never) reflect any of those wonderful promises. Talk is cheap.
Friends are always right
Whether your closest pals did their best to stomach your crummy ex or made it clear that he/she wasn’t good enough for you, they were the ones who picked up the pieces when the shit well and truly hit the fan. They’re worth their weight in gold.
The good never outweighs the bad
Perfection doesn’t exist. Even so, putting up with 80% bullshit in the hopes that the remaining 20% of okayness will somehow make up for it is a pretty poor ratio. You soon start to appreciate consistency in a partner; someone with a level head, who is open with their emotions and never lets you down.
Laughter is light
There’s nothing worse than having to tread on eggshells around your partner, and it’s no coincidence that post-split you’ll find yourself drawn to goofy, loveable types, who are in every way the exact opposite of an emotionally detached grump.
Opposites don’t attract
Something about falling for the wrong person makes you realise just how important it is to find someone with same values, morals, and sense of humour as you. Locking down an SO who is for all intents and purposes a better version of yourself becomes your number one priority.
Life goes on
Your heart is more resilient that you give it credit for and bouncing back from heartbreak - while obviously not the most enjoyable experience on record - only proves just how strong you can be when the going gets tough.
Cheers to that.