Get To Know: Roosevelt
Get to know Roosevelt in our exclusive interview...
Our next featured artist is Roosevelt.
We caught up with him to find out a little but more about him and his music.
Check out our interview with him below:
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
I'm from Cologne, I’m 26 years old, and have been producing music under the name Roosevelt for five years now.
2. Describe your sound in three words
Hihat, claps, cowbell.
3. Who inspired you to start a career in music?
Michael Jackson - listening to Dangerous (on cassette) when I was a child was probably the first inspiration for playing music for me.
4. Who are your biggest musical influences?
I would say Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac and David Byrne.
5. Tell us about the writing and recording process for your debut album and recent single ‘Moving On’…
Early in the album process I built my own studio in Cologne and pretty much locked myself inside for a year. I don't really separate the writing, recording, and mixing process from each other, so it's pretty much all done at the same time. With ‘Moving On’, for example, I remember mixing the drums before I even had a vocal melody. The track was - I think - the last one I finished in the studio, but that's probably why I finished it relatively quickly.
6. What can we expect from your live shows?
In my live shows I perform with a full band - I try to bring a lot of energy to the music and emphasize the dance element. Maybe this comes from starting as a DJ in my early 20s, but I really want to try to merge the experiences of a concert and a club night.
7. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
Playing Primavera Sound in Spain this year was definitely a big highlight. Also hearing my track on the radio for the first time a few years ago was a crazy moment.
8. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
Gary Lineker was sitting next to me at a bar last week. That felt weird. I definitely felt like I was in the right bar!
9. What’s on your iPod/playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
We are all Beliebers as soon we get on the tour bus.
10. When can we see you live?
I can’t tell you much more than I will be playing a lot of live shows again next year - keep an eye out!