13 Things You Need To Know About Single AF's Jedward
Together they are... JEDWARD
Right now, even as you read this very important article, a whole load of celebs are putting on their fanciest clothes, their shiniest shoes and their most Insta-worthy pouts to help them find love on MTV’s brand new show, Single AF.
But who exactly are we gonna be diving head first into the very personal, private and secret love lives of?
Time to get to know a couple of faces who you miiiight just have seen somewhere before. Yep, it’s actual Jedward.
John and Edward might seem like they don’t need anything but a pair of snazzy jackets and a whole lot of hair gel to get by in life, but even the world’s craziest twins need to find true love on social media y’know.
Here’s 13 facts that you definitely need to know about Single AF’s Jedward.
1. You might think of Jedward as one united entity, but they are in fact two separate people and identical twins. Their full names FYI (and there’s a lot of them), are John Paul Henry Daniel Richard Grimes, and Edward Anthony Kevin Patrick Grimes.
2. If you like an older man, then John’s the one to go for. He’s actually 10 minutes older than Edward.
3. The world was very nearly not ever blessed with Jedward at all. The twins weighed just 2lbs each when they were born, and were given only a 50 per cent chance of survival. Luckily, the magic of Jedward was strong enough to keep going.
4. Telling them apart is not exactly an easy job, but there are a couple of foolproof ways to help figure it out. John is taller than Edward by about one inch, has a pointy right ear, and has scars above his left eyebrow and above his nose. Helpfully, they also always stand in the same order too - John’s always on the left, and Edward on the right.
5. They’re tougher than they might look. During a performance in front of 70,000 people, Edward slipped on stage and broke his leg. Somehow, he managed to hobble through the rest of the set, before being stretchered off to hospital where he had to have knee surgery. What a lad.
6. Although they might not have been lucky in romance yet, a whole lot of celebs have spoken out on their undying love for Jedward. Liam Gallagher once poetically said: “I don’t mind them little f****s”, while Lady Gaga has literally said: “I love Jedward.” Amazing.
7. The twins were involved in some pretty dramatic news back in 2014, when they both got stranded on a sandbank during a late night stroll. Costguards with a helicopter and a crew of ten people were called out to save them, and Jedward later released a statement saying that it “could have been a real tragedy”. Yep, that actually happened.
8. Their most remembered X Factor performance (it was actually a mash-up of ‘Under Pressure’ and ‘Ice Ice Baby’) featured a stage invasion from actual Calvin Harris dancing with a pineapple.
9. One of their most retweeted tweets ever jusy says ‘Respect Women Everyday’. Word.
10. If you plan on winning their hearts on Single AF, take them out for sushi and you'll be onto a winner. It’s their favourite food.
11. Jedward have represented Ireland in the Eurovision not once but TWICE. In 2011, their track ‘Lipstick’ saw them reach eighth place, and in 2012 ‘Waterline’ put them at number 19. Better than nil points, anyway.
12. Before becoming popstars, both of the twins worked for a while as games testers for Xbox 360.
13. On a trip to LA, Jedward found a leaflet in their hotel room about a marathon taking place the next day, and randomly decided to run it with absolutely no training whatsoever. So if you’re into your spontaenous exercise-based dates, they could be the boys for you.
Follow @MTVsingleAF #MTVsingleAF around the globe from 26th June to 11th July and help six sexy singles find their match!
DON’T MISS the launch of Single AF on Monday, 26th June on MTV.co.uk!
Words by Lucy Wood