TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR THE VALLEYS TWITTER PICTURE COMPETITION – FEBRUARY 2014
1. This competition will be governed by these terms and conditions (the “Terms”) and entrants agree that they have read and understood these Terms and will be bound by them.
2. The competition will run in eight (8) phases (each a “Phase”). The opening and closing times and dates for each Phase are as follows:
Opening Time/ Date
Closing Time/ Date
10.00pm on 18.02.14
11.59pm on 18.02.14
10.00pm on 25.02.14
11.59pm on 25.02.14
10.00pm on 04.03.14
11.59pm on 04.03.14
10.00pm on 11.03.14
11.59pm on 11.03.14
10.00pm on 18.03.14
11.59pm on 18.03.14
10.00pm on 25.03.14
11.59pm on 25.03.14
10.00pm on 01.04.14
11.59pm on 01.04.14
10.00pm on 08.04.14
11.59pm on 08.04.14
3. To enter a Phase of the competition entrants must fulfil each of the following criteria:
(a) be a resident of the UK or the Republic of Ireland;
(b) be 18 years old or over;
(c) hold a Twitter account; and
(d) not be an employee or immediate relative of an employee of MTV Networks Europe (the “Promoter”) and/or of the Promoter’s respective parents, subsidiaries or affiliated companies or any other person professionally connected with this competition.
4. Entrants may enter one or more Phases of the competition by following these steps:
(i) following MTV The Valleys on Twitter at www.twitter.com/mtvthevalleys; and
(ii) using the #ValleysSnaps hashtag, tweet a photograph of themselves to @mtvthevalleys (the “Entry Content”).
5. One (1) prize winner will be selected at random per Phase from all valid entries containing the correct Entry Content and which are received on or before the closing date and time of the relevant Phase.
The winner must be aged 18 or over on THE OPENING DATE OF THE RELEVANT PHASE.
6. The prize for each Phase is as follows: the winner’s photo submitted as part of the Entry Content will be featured on-air in the last social media bumper during an episode in series 3 of The Valleys (the exact episode to be determined by the Promoter, as defined below) for a duration of between six (6) and eight (8) seconds, alongside the winner’s first name and county.
7. The prize will be subject to the Entry Content being:
a) of sufficient technical quality so as to be capable of broadcast;
b) compliant with all UK broadcast regulations including all relevant rules, regulations, codes of practices promulgated by Ofcom, including the Ofcom Broadcasting Code;
c) successfully cleared by Promoter’s Music and Media Licensing Team.
8. All entrants confirm that:
a) they are the person featuring in the Entry Content and they are the sole owner of any copyright in the Entry Content submitted by them. If they are not the sole owner, or do not feature in the Entry Content, they confirm that they have obtained the consent of the relevant owner (and such owner has consented to the Entry Content being used and in accordance with these Terms) or they have obtained the consent of the person featuring in the Entry Content (and such person has consented to the Entry Content being used and in accordance with these Terms) (including (without limitation) Term 21 and 22); and
b) the Entry Content submitted by them does not include any third party branding, logos, artwork or any other copyright work unless the entrant has obtained the consent of the relevant owner of any third party branding, logos, artwork and such owner has consented to the relevant branding, logos and/or artwork being used in the Entry Content in accordance with these Terms (including (without limitation) Term 21 and 22); and
c) if another person appears in the Entry Content together with the entrant that the entrant has obtained the relevant person’s permission to feature in the Entry Content and for the Entry Content to be used in accordance with the Terms (including (without limitation) Term 21 and 22).
9. The competition is free to enter. However, costs to enter the competition via the Internet may vary so please check with your service provider for current charges. Entrants should seek the permission of the person paying the bill before entering.
10. No purchase necessary.
11. One (1) entry per person, per Phase. For the avoidance of doubt, this also applies where the same entrant uses multiple Twitter accounts. Multiple entries by the same entrant in any one Phase will be void and the entrant disqualified.
12. The Promoter reserves the right to contact any and/or all entrants by a direct message on Twitter throughout the term of the competition in relation to these Terms and any prize.
13. The winners will be selected by midday on the day following the relevant Phase of the competition closing.
14. For the avoidance of doubt, the prizes do not consist of anything other than as expressly set out in Term 6 above and no additional costs are included.
15. Each winner may be required to provide a written acknowledgement of acceptance of all the Terms of this competition prior to receiving his/her prize.
16. The winners of the prizes are responsible for all applicable taxes and expenses not specified in the prize descriptions.
17. The winners will be notified individually by a direct message to their Twitter accounts by midday on the day following the relevant Phase of the competition closing. Upon notification each winner will be asked to provide their name, age, address, telephone contact number and e-mail address.
18. In the event that the Promoter and a winner cannot for any reason establish contact within twenty four (24) hours of the Promoter’s initial attempt to do so, the Promoter reserves the right to select another winner, who will be selected applying the same criteria as that used to select the original winner.
19. The Promoter reserves the right to select an alternative winner in the event that the Promoter has reasonable grounds for believing that a selected winner has contravened any of these Terms.
20. The Promoter reserves the right to terminate the competition and/or any Phase of the competition and withhold any and all of the prizes in the event that, in the Promoter's reasonable opinion, there are insufficient entries for the Promoter to be able to select any winners. The Promoter’s decision is final with respect to any aspect of the competition, including the determination of any winners of a prize. No correspondence will be entered into.
21. By entering this competition all entrants hereby grant to the Promoter and its respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliated companies a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive licence to use, reproduce, copy, adapt, transmit, broadcast, publish or delete any information or other material including without limitation, the entrant’s name, entry, Entry Content, photograph, likeness, biographical information, voice, text, images, designs, audio and/or video clips submitted in entering or any statement made by them concerning the competition ("Submissions") by any means and in any and all media as they, in their discretion, see fit. For the avoidance of doubt (but without limitation) this will include the winner’s name, location, and Entry Content being broadcast on-air and posted across the Promoter’s social media platforms.
22. All entrants hereby irrevocably and unconditionally waive in favour of the Promoter, the Promoter’s affiliates and their respective licensees, assigns and successors in title, all moral rights in any Submissions to which he or she is, or may at any time in the future be, entitled.
23. All entrants hereby undertake that nothing in the Entry Content:
a) is defamatory;
b) is sexually explicit or suggestive, contains nudity or any dangerous activity or is profane, pornographic or violent;
c) is derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group or endorses any form of hate or hate group;
d) promotes the use of illegal drugs or firearms;
e) promotes any particular political agenda or message;
f) reveals any personal information, including but not limited to license plate numbers, personal names, email addresses or street addresses; or
g) is otherwise offensive or illegal.
24. Entrants acknowledge that they may be required to be used in publicity without further consent or payment if they are selected as a winner.
25. The Promoter can accept no responsibility for entries delayed, misdirected or undelivered. Incomplete entries will be disqualified. The Promoter shall not be responsible for technical errors in telecommunications networks, Internet access or otherwise preventing entry to any competition.
26. The prizes are as stated and are non-transferable. No cash alternative will be offered. If due to circumstances beyond the Promoter’s control the Promoter is unable to provide the stated prizes, the Promoter reserves the right to award substitute prizes of equal or greater value. The prizes are subject to the additional terms and conditions of the manufacturer or supplier.
27. The Promoter shall not be liable to the winner for any loss or damage howsoever caused (whether in contract, tort or statutory duty or otherwise) arising out of or in connection with the competition and/or any prize other than death or personal injury caused by the negligence of the Promoter and/or the Promoter’s personnel and/or deceit or fraud by the Promoter and/or its personnel.
28. The Promoter shall not be liable for any delay in performing or partial or total failure to perform any of its obligations to the winners under these Terms if such delay or failure is caused by circumstances beyond its reasonable control including without limitation delays (to postal services or otherwise), changes, disruptions, cancellations, diversions or substitutions howsoever caused including without limitation as a result of war, terrorist action or threatened terrorist action, strikes, hostilities, civil commotions, accidents, fire, flood or natural catastrophes. For the avoidance of doubt, any affected winners shall be solely liable for any additional costs incurred as a result.
29. Each provision excluding or limiting liability is to be construed separately and will apply and survive even if for any reason any of the other provisions are held to be inapplicable or unenforceable in any circumstances. Each of the provisions excluding or limiting liability will remain in force notwithstanding any termination of these Terms.
30. The name of the winners can be obtained by sending a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: FAO Lisa Whitelaw, The Valleys Twitter Picture Competition, MTV Networks Europe, 17-29 Hawley Crescent, London, NW1 8TT, for one (1) month after the final Phase of the competition closes.
32. Only entries from individuals will be accepted. Any entries that the Promoter believes have: (a) been made via participation in a syndicate; or (b) via any form of machine assisted intervention enabling computer generated multiple entries, will be disqualified. The Promoter reserves the right to discount multiple entries from the same IP address.
33. These Terms may be amended or varied at any time by the Promoter on notice. No waiver of any rights by the Promoter or any entrant will be taken as a waiver of any other rights it may have. For example, if the Promoter waives its right to complain about a particular breach of these Terms by an entrant, it does not prevent the Promoter from complaining about other breaches.
34. These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and any disputes shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
35. Any queries regarding the competition should be addressed to:
FAO Lisa Whitelaw, The Valleys Twitter Picture Competition, MTV Networks Europe, 17-29 Hawley Crescent, London, NW1 8TT.