15 Things You Never Knew About The Hills
The Hills are alive with the sound of combat boots, mascara tears and just a hint of Speidi and it's all because the show is coming back for a one-off anniversary special to celebrate 10 long years since it was on our screens.
To celebrate, it only seems right to take a trip down memory lane to reveal a few sneaky secrets that you might not ever have realised about the show...
1. Audrina actually paid Justin Bobby for their first date. Sort of.Well homeboy's combat boots weren't going to buy themselves, but it turns out the only reason he joined the show was because Audrina asked him to cut her hair for the show.
"I asked if he wanted to cut my hair on camera," Audrina tells People as Justin revels: "I think I charged her!"
2. Spencer wasn't actually that mean irlAt least according to Spencer, who says he did it all to help boost ratings and make the show a success.
"We wanted to have a show that people watched, so we did all this stuff that made us look like the worst humans on Earth," he told People magazine recently. "When the cameras were off, I was a complete gentleman – opening doors and going to the movies and cuddling. There was a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing going on. If I did any of that [as an actor] in an indie film, people would think I'm the new Jennifer Lawrence."
3. Spencer and Brody had their own reality show before joining The HillsYep, the two pals were in a show called Princes of Malibu that mainly featured Brody and brother Brandon. It saw them getting into day-to-day trouble along with pal Spencer as they hung out at the Jenner's mum's Malibu home.
Unfortunately it was cancelled after only the first two episodes had aired.
4. That mascara tear wasn't quite what it seemedNo one can forget that iconic moment when Lauren's mascara tear slipped down her cheek, but it turns out that the speed was slowed right down to make it way more dramatic.
Still, the argument and emotion of that argument with Audrina was totally real.
5. Heidi and Spencer's kid neighbour Enzo was a child actorSoz to break it to you guys, but Speidi's next door neighbour who conveniently turned up when Spencer was going through his I-don't-want-kids phase was actually hired specifically for the show.
"Obviously he was a child actor," Heidi revealed in an interview, diplomatically adding: "He did a great job."
6. Whitney didn’t audition for The Hills and was told she would be filmed as part of her internship at Teen Vogue“It all happened really organically,” she says, reflecting on the casting process," she tells ET. "I applied for an internship at Teen Vogue for the fall … and they said, 'If you want the job, you kinda have to be comfortable with a camera crew because MTV's starting to film a TV show here.'
“I was like, ‘OK, let me think about this,’” she explains. “So, I did some good, long, hard thinking and I was like, alright, I'm down … Next thing I know, someone from MTV is calling me, and telling me that I need to get a casting tape.
“Then, I show up for my on-camera interview at Teen Vogue, and Lauren Conrad walks in the lobby and I'm like, 'Oh my god. I'm on her spin-off show. I had seen Laguna Beach, so I knew who she was, and I was like, ‘OK, this is making sense.’ Like, I'm on Lauren Conrad's spin-off show.”
7. The cast had to dress themselves and do their own hair and makeupWell, it was a reality show.
"We were not allowed to wear outfits twice, so I asked them to supply me with a wardrobe, but apparently I had to buy it all myself," Heidi confessed to Buzzfeed.
8. They really tried to get Lauren to go to ParisYep, she might always be the girl who didn't go to Paris, but that decision was always LC's own making. In fact, producer Liz Gately revealed they really wanted her to go and take the internship, but that she wasn't having any of it.
The nickname apparently also came from Anna Wintour, as Lauren recalls saying: "Lisa later told me the reason she said I'll 'always be known as the girl who didn't go to Paris' is because that's what Anna Wintour referred to me as. Apparently I came up in a conversation and she said, 'Oh, you mean that girl who didn't go to Paris?' I was like, 'Great!'"
9. Spencer's love of crystals was born from his love of HeidiSpenny's strange addicton to pastel-coloured rocks actually came about after Heidi had her surgery and her painkillers weren't working.
"That's when I got into the crystals," Spencer tells People, looking back. "I was playing nurse, and her painkillers weren't working. I started Googling 'homeopathic remedies,' and I read this article about Sugilite – this one rock with healing powers. So I go buy a $15,000 chunk of Sugilite, and when she held it, she said she felt no pain. Then I was like, 'I'm filling the whole bedroom with crystals! I'm putting them on!' I didn't want Heidi to be in pain anymore.
He adds, "I started getting into wands, too. I was just like, 'I need to join the Illuminati, it's my only chance.' There was a lot of dark energy, and I was looking for any way to counteract it. You just start getting medieval on s***."
10. Lauren and Kristin were kept apart in separate basements before Speidi's wedding ceremony so they could catch LC's genuine reaction at seeing her rival"I needed to leave by a certain time because my boyfriend (Kyle Howard) was premiering an indie film,’ Lauren told Us Weekly. "And the power and generator went out in the church. The producers literally locked me in the basement with two security guards and wouldn’t let me leave. I was throwing a fit."
That said, Producer Adam DiVello adds: "She might have felt locked in, but she was not,"
11. Heidi really doesn't know what she didOr at least she told Buzzfeed in a recent interview, saying: "Oh, I know what she did! That’s for sure. I didn’t do anything."
12. Brody was actually dating Avril Lavigne during season 6Yep, despite the show being centred on is relationship with Kristin, he was actually very much rumoured to be AvLav's real life sk8er boi alllll the way through the season.
13. Whitney, Steph, Spencer and Roxy all went to the same schoolThat's how Roxy got her role on The City, Whitney's spin-off show set in New York, but she actually also went to the same high school as the Pratt siblings, which is what got her the brief role on The Hills.
Small world, hey?
14. Holly Montag and Justin Bobby datedAwkward much? The two were rumoured to be dating in 2011 after homeboy and his combat boots parted ways with Audrina.
15. There was an alternate ending
One that didn't involve a green screen but still involved a pretty cheeky nod to the nature of the show and brought a certain someone right back to the show as though she'd been hanging out at Brody's apartment that whole time...
Celebrate 10 years of The Hills on 6th and 7th of August with Whitney, Heidi, Steph and Brody as they host #100ThingsAboutTheHills. Don't miss the anniversary special The Hills 10: That Was Then, This is Now at 8pm on Sunday 7th August – only on MTV!