The Hobbit Leaps To Top Of UK Box Office Chart
New Tolkien movie dominates British cinemas on its opening weekend...
The first instalment of Peter Jackson's second Middle Earth trilogy smashed its opposition to take £11.6m in ticket sales - compared to No 2 movie Rise Of The Guardians with £1.2m.
That total made it the fifth-biggest opener of the year - behind Skyfall, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2, The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers.
It also comes in just above the first Lord Of The Rings film, but behind the second two.
Nativity 2 came in at No 3 in the chart, with Skyfall hanging on in fourth and Tinker Bell And The Secret Of The Wings in fifth.
The UK box office top 10, by Rentrak...
1. (-) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - £11,601,538
2. (1) Rise of the Guardians - £1,250,469
3. (5) Nativity 2: Danger In The Manger - £938,309
4. (2) Skyfall - £809,406
5. (-) Tinker Bell And The Secret Of The Wings - £528,820
6. (4) The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 - £509,872
7. (3) Seven Psychopaths - £452,293
8. (6) Silver Linings Playbook - £231,714
9. (8) Argo - £108,384
10. (7) Great Expectations - £100,137