FBI Officially Name North Korea As Responsible For Sony Hack
It has finally been revealed who is behind the threats being made because of James Franco and Seth Rogen's new movie...
The FBI have confirmed today (December 19) that North Korea was behind the cyber attacks on Sony Pictures.
This is the hack that has leaked thousands of private emails, sensitive information about actors and forced the cancellation of The Interview, a film about two people trying to kill Kim Jong-Un.
In a statement released this afternoon, the FBI explain that the Guardians of Peace hacker group is in fact the North Korean government, based on similarities in tools used by North Korea in an attack last year.
"As a result of our investigation, and in close collaboration with other U.S. Government departments and agencies, the FBI now has enough information to conclude that the North Korean government is responsible for these actions,'' a FBI statement said.
"While the need to protect sensitive sources and methods precludes us from sharing all of this information, our conclusion is based, in part, on similarities in specific lines of code, encryption algorithms, data deletion methods, and compromised networks."
"We are deeply concerned about the destructive nature of this attack on a private sector entity and the ordinary citizens who worked there,'' the FBI said in the brief statement.
"Further, North Korea's attack on SPE (Sony Pictures Entertainment) reaffirms that cyber threats pose one of the gravest national security dangers to the United States.''
The FBI go on to add that while there has been a rising number of cyber breaches, "the destructive nature of this attack, coupled with its coercive nature, sets it apart.''