American Exchange Students Start Pasta Fire In Italy, World Groans
It’s really quite embarrassing...
When you think of Italy, what comes to mind? Amazing architecture, a rich culture, and oh yeah - pasta. ALL of the pasta.
Which is why there’s three pretty red-faced Americans exchange students skulking about this week, after they managed to start a fire by cooking pasta WITHOUT WATER in Italy.
Yep, as if the fact that this trio of carb-lovers (feel ya, baes) didn’t realise that chucking a load of dry stuff in a pan wasn’t bad enough, they were in the literal home of pasta when they did it. Awkward.
The three 20-year-old noodle noobs are living and studying in Florence, Italy, and according to Italian newspaper La Nazione, caused quite the commotion when they decided to cook a tasty dinner in their apartment.
So what happened? Step one: they bought pasta. Step two: they put it in a pan. Dry. No water. Not even a drop. Step three: they lit the stove. Step four: it very quickly burst into flames.
Thankfully the group had enough common sense to call the fire brigade, and aside from some damaged furniture, nobody was hurt.
Unsurprisingly, some Italians have a lot to say about the incident.
“It derives from the fact that in the USA everything is bought already COOKED, American women in the kitchen are a disaster, they do not even know how to make a hard egg,” wrote one commenter.
Another got even more snarky, writing: “Return to the USA to eat hamburgers & chips from [McDonald’s]”.
No pun intended.
By Lizzie Cox