Get To Know: Will Joseph Cook
This week's featured artist is 19-year-old Will Joseph Cook...
This week’s featured artist is 19 year old songwriter, Will Joseph Cook.
We caught up with him for an exclusive interview to get to know him better, check it out…
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
I'm a 19 year old songwriter from Kent in the UK. I've been releasing music over the past two years and I'm just about to release my debut album.
2. Describe your sound in three words…
Unabashe, cathartic, pop.
3. Who inspired you to start a career in music?
It was definitely a decision I made on my own. My family and friends have always been supportive but never pushed me down this path. Starting to learn an instrument was born out of an infatuation and love for the records I listened to as a young teenager. However, as I got older, it became something that meant a lot more to me than that. It was my emotional release and something I could feel passionate about.
4. Who are your biggest musical influences?
Eels, Phoenix, Neil Young, Weezer, MGMT, Taking Heads, early Calvin Harris, Paul Simon, Vampire Weekend.
5. Tell us about the writing and recording process for your new single/album…
I was recording the album over the last year or so. That said, a couple of the songs and musical ideas are ones that have survived from years back but I never finished/recorded them. I tried not to focus too much on concept to start out with, just focusing on individual songs. It wasn’t until about half way through the process that I had a title and an idea of the kind of album I was building.
6. What can we expect from your live shows?
I’m the happiest I’ve ever been with the live show. Definitely having the album finished has allowed me to put more time into creative live ideas. I'm going to be injecting some weirder stuff into the shows, I'm actually working on the intro for the next tour right now.
7. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
My last headline show at Dingwalls in Camden was really special. It was the first time we've had long queues outside the venue, the whole night was awesome.
8. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
I met Calvin Harris at the Warner summer party last year, that was pretty dope.
9. What’s on your iPod/playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
I'm a massive fan of Boys Noize, and pretty much all the stuff released through the Miami Noize label too.
10. When can we see you live?
The Sweet Dreamer Album tour starts at the beginning of May, we're going all over the UK. Plus we're playing shows in Europe for the first time ever!