This week we’re getting to know Poppy Ajudha… the singer/songwriter released her debut album last month, ‘THE POWER IN US’ where she covers a range of topics from women’s rights to mental health.
Citing Adele, Bob Marley andSZA as just some of her influences, Poppy calls her music ‘alt-pop’ which encapsulates the multi-faceted sounds you can find on her album ranging from jazz andsoul to pop.
Poppy will be touring the UK later this year and we can’t wait to see what’s next for the talented singer from South London!
1. For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
Heeey I'm Poppy! Born and raised in south east london, always singing, always writing and creating for as long as I can remember. I guess my music is a mix of things, people say they hear jazz and r&b I think i'd callit alternative pop. I write lyrics about my desire for a different world, I write about feminism and mental health, whatever I'm going through really.
2. Who/what inspired you to start a career in music?
I've been singing for forever,even my family used to say I'd be a singer when I was a baby because of thehigh pitch nature of my scream, and If anyone asked me when I was little what I wanted to be when I grew up, I'd always say "a pop star" haha so I guess the universe didn't give me much choice in the matter.
3. Who are your biggest musical influences?
Adele, Amy Winehouse, Janelle Monae, Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, SZA, FKA Twigs, Sevdeliza... too many to name.
4. Tell us about the writing and recording process of your new release…
The process was different for every song. Sometimes I'd start writing alone, in my room or in my studio on my guitar. Sometimes great songs would come from sessions in London or LA. When I had all the songs written I went into a live room with a bunch of my favourite musiciansand re-recordedall the parts of each song, adding string and horn arrangements to make it really special. Finally I went through all the songs with my engineer to do any post production, making sure they all gelled perfectlyas well as to record the interludes thatreally piece the whole thing together.
5. What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
Releasing my DEBUT ALBUM. It still feels surreal, it's so exciting and I'm so happy to be finally living in this moment. I can't wait for what's to come and for everyone everywhere to hear it.
6. Who would you be your dream collaboration and why?
James Blake, Kendrick Lamar, Mura Masa, FKA Twigs, Anderson Paak, SZA... should I keep going? lol
7. Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
I don'treally get star struck... we're all just people, I dunno.. I think it's weird to put people on a pedestalbecauseit doesn't allow them to be human, to be normal, to make mistakes, to be flawed like we all are.
8. If you could only listen to one song on repeat for the rest of time what would it be and why?
This is an impossible question.
9. What’s on your playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
I listen to everything. I listen to a lot of dancehall which maybe people wouldn't expect because of the (sometimes) problematic lyrics. Sue me, I'm a fraud! Them beats are good tho.
10. What can we expect from your live shows?
Drama. Energy. And lots of women on stage lol.
11. When can we see you live this year?
I'm playing my headline tour in November! I have UK, EU and will soon be announcing US and Japan dates so don'tmiss it!! I can't wait to see all your faces again.
'Poppy's debut album 'THE POWER IN US' is out now!'
- Get To Know: Eddie BenjaminIn the PUSH limelight this week is Australian singer-songwriter Eddie Benjamin...09/06/2022
- Get To Know: JeshiIn the #MTVPUSH limelight is Jeshi...02/06/2022
- Get To Know: Dylan ConriqueIn the #MTVPUSH spotlight this week is Dylan Conrique...26/05/2022
- Get To Know: Moonchild SanellyThis week we’re getting to know South African musician and dancer, Moonchild Sanelly...18/05/2022
- Get To Know: FLOIn the MTV PUSH spotlight this week is your new fav girlband, FLO!12/05/2022
- Get To Know: Poppy AjudhaIn the #MTVPUSH eye this week is singer/songwriter Poppy Ajudha...05/05/2022